Build Your Aquarium T5 light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with or know someone that has a T5 HO fixture from a California company called Build Your Aquarium. The lights are on ebay and look very nice. A 6 light T5 HO fixture with individual reflectors, Advance ballast, 3 cords and moonlights is 250.00.
I know Advance makes good ballasts because I've been in the electrical industry for 20 years and have used them frequently.
It looks well made. The only thing I don't know is the brand of bulbs.
Any feedback?????

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Advance ballasts aren't bad at all. As long as the reflectors seem to be of reasonable quality and are truly single-lamp reflectors, I'd go for it.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
It seems to look good other than fans as AMP stated and I would bet that they have low end bulbs that you might want to replace but wont know that until you get it

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I agree it is an easy fix but just wanted to let him know and it may cost another $130 to swap out all the bulbs but then again if its a young tank with a minimal amount of corals and lower light corals for now then the bulbs could be swapped out over time.

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
That's what I thought about the bulbs as well. It's difficult to gauge the quality through a picture but the size of the six light is perfect. Since I already do electrical work, the cooling fan won't be an issue.
I just can't build the entire fixture myself because the parts are more expensive individually.
Thanks for the responses!!!!!!!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Usually you can get away without cooling T5, if the fixture is suspended and not enclosed in a canopy.

What brand is that fixture btw?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, active cooling will increase light output by about 15-20% on average. The difference is significant in terms of light output, since T5s have a lower optimal running temp, unlike most other fluorescent tubes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store