Hi & help (i think)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fenacre

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2007
:werd:

Hi guys my name is mike and I have not posted here before. please excuse my ignorance but i think one of my 2 oranda's is a bit weird. I've had them for around two years with no major problems but just recently one of them has started to go to the back of the tank, just under the filter, lay on his back and just stay there for some minutes at a time (may be longer if/when he does this at night). It doesn't seem to bother him at all but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this behaviour and if so is there anything I should do to prevent him doing it. any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

:huh:

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Is he flipping on his back at other times? Sometimes fish just do weird things. One of my tetras loves to go right under the flow of the filter and get carried out and around the tank, then he swims back up to it and does it all again.

fenacre

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. He (I think) seems to be doing it quite often. He just lays there upside down with his eyes moving, slightly moving his fins but not actually enough to move his body but seems to "wake up" when the tank is approached. I know it sounds daft but I think he likes doing it. When he first started doing it I was worried he would drown but he's been doing it for about 2 days now so I don't think he's committing suicide :laugh: but he's sure doing his best to worry me!

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
sounds like he is just playing around. If he was flipping over other times in other parts of the tank (randomly I guess you could say) I may think he has some kind of swim bladder issue but if he is doing it in the same part of the tank and it looks as though he wants to then, ya, I think he is just messing around.

fenacre

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2007
many thanks 13ENZENE. You have put my mind at rest and yes he's still doing it today and its always in exactly the same part of the tank so I think he has just found a new game to play (I suppose it must be very boring just swimming around all day and night). Thanks once again for your help.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
You have put my mind at rest.
Oh, I hate to get you worried again, but I myself would be worried about any fish who's upside down. To help you rule out any other potential problems, maybe let us know: what's your tank size? how much do you feed? how often do you do water changes? and can you test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

mdel747

AC Members
Oct 26, 2008
could be that the fish is just board i would think if i was in a confined space day after day it would become ho hum and is just amusing him self , maybe do a helen Keller affect and rearrange the tank and maybe add a few new things for him to explore

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Leah think about it for a while. if it was some issue would there not be other signs and wouldn't it be happening all over the tank. It happening in the same spot over and over again seems kind of odd for some disorder to be causing. If you could name some option as to what would cause such behavior?

Besides fish do some strange things for no reasons (diseases).

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I agree with Leah, we need to know the tank size, Parameters, tank mates, and water change schedule to better help the original poster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store