Black-edged Moray not doing well.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Unfortunately, my moray is not looking well. He hasn't eaten in a few days (which isn't unusual based on the species, but my guy used to eat everyday, or at least everyother day).

Today, I noticed the oval openings directly above his eyes have red "puss" type substances protruding from them. He was out this morning and now he's back in his cave. He has no bite marks or any kind of physical damage I can see aside from the red (bloody) puss marks. They are identical and coming out of both oval openings above each eye.

All water parameters are constant.
Am: 0
Nitri: 0
Nitra: 40
Ph: 8.2
Temp: 79
SG: 1.024

THE ONLY things different to the tank set-up in the past week are:
1.- the addition of two gobies for sand sifting (diamond and gold head; yes in a predatory tank; but, they're fine and doing a great job).
2.- the addition of the refugium with macroalgae.

All else has been the same for 3 months.

I don't know if it's worth the added stress on him to catch him and put him in the fuge. Plus, he has no "fighting" marks. The red puss is identical on both sides and seems to be coming out of the oval openings leading me to believe that something internal is wrong and "bleeding out."

Don't know.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.
Richard.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Define "red puss." Is there plasma/blood oozing out of the openings, or does it appear that there is a swollen membrane behind it's eyes that is protruding out of the oval openings?

I tried really hard to find a website to back this up, but came up empty. Anyway, I have heard somewhere that fish get colds just like humans do. If the eel has membranes swelling out of his nostrils, it is possible he just has a cold.

Just my $.02, I'm not a veteranarian.....

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks Kreblak.

Here's a pic I took last night:

It's not oozing out. It's just a reddish mucous (sp?) type substance sticking out a little.

My crazy theory is that he banged his snout very hard into a wall or the inside of his cave as his snout looks a little smushed. He's very poor sighted and often bangs into the things.

His condition is the same. Hasn't gotten any worse. He does move around and what not.

Hopefully, he'll improve.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thinking about what you said: I've never heard of an eel (or fish) getting a cold but, I tell ya, it would sort-of explain things. A swollen snout, reddish membrane, loss of appetite.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
SamsonNY, I don't have much advice to give but I will say this. If your tank chemistry is in line, which it seems to be, and there are no obvious factors causing the anomily such as feeding issues, a long power outage, fish fighting, or other outside factor... I'd just basicly do nothing.

That is the route I have taken with my tank. If I know everything is right that is within my power and a fish ends up getting ill, I just let it run it's course. My fish rarely exhibit any signs of illness but every now and then I see something a little strange and I let nature take care of things.

Basicly, no one in the ocean is going to jam antibiotics down the animals throats, and if your already doing everything humanly possible to provide an excellent living environment I think you've done everything you can.

I'm sure most people will disagree and want to QT their animal and provide medications, but to me it just doesn't seem worth the hassle. Fish, if a hearty specimen suitable for the aquarium, should be able to take care of themselves.

Guy

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
If I'm right (which I'm probably not), then you can't medicate for a cold anyway! ;) I suppose you could drop some alka seltzer cold relief tabs in a QT, but that just seems a little over the top.

The pic you posted showes what looks like a scratch just to the right of the eel's red protrusion. If the eel did bang his head on something, then I;m sure he'll come back around soon. Anyway, I sure hope he gets better.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks everyone. That's basically what I'm doing: nothing. I follow the same theory. Nothing else in the tank is wrong and no other fish is showing any problems.

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I love your Moray! Minus the red ooze. How old is he? Hope he gets better!

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks widdledink.

I don't know how to age a Moray. My guess would be 3 or 4 years old, but I could be way off. He's been with me for 3 months and he's about 16" long. Up until this red "puss" thing, he was very healthy and a voracious eater. I hope he returns to that. The only "negative" about him is that he does like to rearrange my corals. :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store