AquaClear Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
Background:

So in my 29 gal I have it stocked with 4 sword tails - 3 penguine tetras - 3 cory cats -- 1 blue female gourami -- and one blak velevet angel

I have a 55 gal with a 110 aquaclear filter on it -- very happy with how clean it works ...

I also do 25% vacuum and water changed every saturday -- and rinse the sponges in aquaruim water :) all readings are good amm zero rite zero rate 20 in both tanks

BUT the 29 seems to get awful dirty fast -- i have loser gravel in it than in the 55 gal -- I dont know how to describe it besides sayings its looser -- the stones are a bit bigger and food and fish waste I think doesnt gte trapped in them easy -- the "junk" floats around more with the loser bigger gravel than with the smaller more tightly packed stuff in my 55gal

The meat of the question

I had a 10-30 gallon aquaclear filter on the 29 - it broke -- the motor died -- -- so i bought a bigger filter--- thinking it would take care of the "loose" stuff i always see in the 29 gal -- but no -- it didnt seem to be enough -- and it was still getting dirty fast

today - i bought a aquaclear 70 gal filter -- and hung it in the 29 along side the older filter that has been in there a few months -- and BINGO - wow -- just in a few hours the water clearned up great ....

my suspicion is that the the filter sizes on it are under rated -- in my opinion everything below the aquaclear 70 would be fine for a 10 gal and thats it .. even comparing the aquaclear 30 to the aquaclear 50 -- there is very little difference in size --

so i was curious to what you all thought about that. Are the sizes on the tank advertised on the filters to small/big?

Also, will i experience a mini cycle with the NEW aquaclear 70 while leaving the OLD aquaclear 50 in the tank.

Thanx in advance,

Paul

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I don't see why you would mini cycle. you haven't removed any bacterial media, just added. I agree that the aquaclear filters are 'over rated' in that it is definitely better to go at least one size up from the tank they are recommended for. But I do like them :)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
AC filters are the best hang on back filters IMO, but they do seem to overrate their filters as to what they can do. Like for example, an AC 50 filter is advertised for 50 gallon tanks, but I would only use it on a 20 gallon tank at the biggest. I have an AC 50 on my 30 gallon tank along with other HOBs, and I have to say, it has the most power in the smallest package. This is why I will be using 2 AC 70s on my 55 gallon tank.

mooch4056

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
AC filters are the best hang on back filters IMO, but they do seem to overrate their filters as to what they can do. Like for example, an AC 50 filter is advertised for 50 gallon tanks, but I would only use it on a 20 gallon tank at the biggest. I have an AC 50 on my 30 gallon tank along with other HOBs, and I have to say, it has the most power in the smallest package. This is why I will be using 2 AC 70s on my 55 gallon tank.
yeah - I think they are great filters as well -- the rating thing kind of bugs me though -- like i said -- i have a 110 hanging on my 55gal and i think its great -- I would think the two 70's you have on your 55 would work just as well if not better

ok -- so -- so far we have 2 people who think they are rating under the the use for tank size -- maybe if we get enough who agree I can email this thread to aquaclear and they'll change the rating -- hahahaha ... :perv:
probably not though huh

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
2 AC 70s are about the same price as 1 AC 110, and since having 2 filters is better than one, (If one of them breaks down, you aren't totally without filtration.) I chose to buy 2 of them.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Some say that once the filter media is added, the actual filter capability could be cut down to as much as half, at the moment i am using a Penguin 200 on a 29 gal. fry tank, once they get bigger I'll put the AC50 on it also, since Ive used this combination before when the 29 was our tetra tank.. :idea:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I run and AC110 on my 90 as well as an Emperor 400 (It is home to an Oscar).

I have a tendency to agree that filters are not rated properly. Some mfg's claim a 4x turnover rate is all that is needed and some claim more. My personal comfort level is 6X as the minimum for a HOB. 3X if canister.

PsyKick

AC Members
Aug 14, 2008
Arcata Ca
Im running a 50 on my 29 gallon and I found that putting a wad of filter floss in the basket instead of the carbon did wonders for cleaning up the tank...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Im running a 50 on my 29 gallon and I found that putting a wad of filter floss in the basket instead of the carbon did wonders for cleaning up the tank...
I use double sponges. The second sponge is cut to the approx height of the carbon bag so that my bio media is at the same height as before. At present I am running a 70 on my 29 and want to drop it to a 50.

Over-all, I prefer to use the AC's due to availability of replacement parts and the ease of cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store