Dosing Iron with Dry 10% Iron Chelate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
I was wondering how often I should dose Iron? I got a 1/2 pound bag of the 10% Iron Chelate from aquariumfertilizers.com and I know how to make a 1% iron liquid solution but how much and how many times a week should I dose. I am currently using the EI method of dosing for a 55 gallon tank with 2.1 wpg. I have the following stock:

4 anubias
2 java fern
1 wisteria
1 ludwigia repens
3 amazon swords
4 cypts

Thanks for your help!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
To tell you the truth i wouldnt know with the dry ferts since i dosed the flourish iron. But since you know how to make a 1% solution, dose that 1ml per 10g of water. (will be the same as flourish iron since thats also 1% Fe)
This reminds me to order them dry ferts soon..

Agreed. Make your 1% solution, and then dose that according to the Flourish Iron directions. I bascially combined my traces with a 0.5% iron solution, which I dose according to PPS Pro with added iron.

EDIT: I've read time and time again that if you are dosing Plantex, you don't need additional iron, but when I started added just touch more iron, the health of my plants, especially my reds, really perked up.

Last edited:

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Agreed. Make your 1% solution, and then dose that according to the Flourish Iron directions. I bascially combined my traces with a 0.5% iron solution, which I dose according to PPS Pro with added iron.

EDIT: I've read time and time again that if you are dosing Plantex, you don't need additional iron, but when I started added just touch more iron, the health of my plants, especially my reds, really perked up.

Agreed I do the same thing too, I have the same mentality. I'd rather there be extra than not enough, and if iron is behind my plants producing red/oranges, then I aint stopping it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store