breeder tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppies

AC Members
Sep 22, 2003
Visit site
what is the best breeder tank to get for breeding guppies.
i see something call pen plax breeder and don't where to get them in canada, it sound like a breeder tank will suck the fly away from the female before she have a chance to eat them.
please get me some link.
Thanks !

DizBjOhN104

AC Members
Oct 9, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
i would say a 5g thats my my swordtail breeed in and they have tons of babies :)

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
just get a small tank and fill the whole thing with plants, like cover the top adn bottom of the tank heavily with plants and keep the guppies well fed at all times.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Guppies will breed in any size tank, but I wouldnt keep them in anything less than a 10 gallon. That is if you are trying to breed more than a trio. If you are trying to breed atleast a trio together, then a 5 might do, but i wouldnt use a pen plax tank. I would use for filtration a sponge filter. But I do very well breeding my endlers, merry widows, and guppies in 10 gallon tanks with live plants and a Regent aqua tech filters.

But if you need a link for breeding guppies www.showguppies.com

jim

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
The thing you're talking about is called a Aqua Nursery. It's made by penn plax I believe. Dr's Foster and Smith has them in their catalog, however I was unable to find them on the website. I own a couple of these and it hangs on the side of the tank and an airline is attached to it that carries the fry into a small collection cup. It's neat how it works actually. When I used it I did notice the females would stress a bit when first added to it however. But after a day or so they would be fine. It made it nice to remove the fry since the collection cup they went into was removable.

Here's a link for Dr's Foster and Smith. If you don't have a catalog they are free and arrive quickly and regularly.

Dr's Foster and Smith

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
There is one problem with this type of container, they do stress the fish out and have been known to cause problems for the females. They will abort the babies or even cause the females to die. I just prefer letting them breed in an open environment they do some much better that way.

jim

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Most likely you will be wondering how to STOP your guppies from breeding within a short period. I let my feeder guppies breed in a 20 gallon tank with a biowheel filter (though normally I prefer cannisters). To keep the babies from getting sucked into the filter I slipped a square of tulle (a mesh fabric) over the intake held in place with a rubber band. You can also use panty hose stretched tightly, but I've noticed this seems to slow down the intake of water and trap lots of clogging debris, whereas the tulle has wide enough holes to let water and most debris pass freely, yet is small enough to keep the babies out.

My tank is almost completely planted (plastic) with various sized plants to give them plenty of cover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store