'Skippers changing colour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I've noticed that my two mudskippers seem to be able to vary their body colour. At times they are so pale as to be almost white, with the blotches along the spine almost completely invisible. Does anyone know why this happens? Are they doing it on purpose for camouflage? Does it have to do with the air/water temperature? I'll try to post some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about.

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp and pinhead crickets... the color change happens really fast, so I wonder if it has to do with their mood/stress level.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would think as long as they are night staying pale/washed out for long periods of time and your params are in line, its just mood-related.

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I'm hoping that's the case. I spend quite a bit of time just sitting and watching them (I find them completely fascinating!) and when I noticed the color changing I was curious about what it meant.

snowland

AC Members
Jul 1, 2008
Hey, my mudskippers always change from, a deep beige to very pale. I put it down to moods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store