SAE is sick ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Hello...

I just got 10 neon tetras and a SAE , not adults yet and they are currently in my QT tank.

20 gal tank. Not matured. Am - 0.25ppm, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 0.

-------------

Prophylaxis : Added a bit of salt every day. for 5 days. Until I discovered the death of 1 neon.

So the 1 neon died. Another 1 has pop eyes. Stopped the salt, did a 15% PWC added, pima and melafix. The next day, one of the pop eyes has subsided.

-------------

My biggest concern now is my SAE. AS of late, all it does is hide. I understand that the neon with the popeye is hiding too. The rest of the neons are swimming around, though they still seem shy. I dont see the SAE moving around or eating. It simply hides and its gills are moving rapidly. Also, I remember see it 'yawn' (something like stretching its mouth). And I remember see it twitching it fins but only rarely.

What should be my next course of action?

Thanks !

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
What is the pH? That ammonia level would be acutely dangerous in a pH above 8.0, and pretty dangerous anywhere above 7.0.

I suggest a big water change, not a piddly little 15% one. As my mother would say when I was helping her bake "stir it, don't tickle it!"

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
hello, PH is 6.4.

I dont think I should be doing a big water change as I have had added salt and I want to slowly decrease the salt concentration.
Also, the PH of my tap water is about 7.8. I want to have as small a flucuation in the PH as possible.

so any idea what disease (if any) that im looking at?

Thanks

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Probably not ammonia poisoning at that pH. Having said that, you don't need to worry about pH fluctuations. What is the GH in tap and tank? If it's around the same, a 50% water change putting the pH at 7.1 will cause no problems at all.

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
the GH is about 3 - 5 (i dun really know how to judge the colour on my API testkit)

can you teach me how to calculate the PH after a water change?

and also I am adding baking soda in my Main Tank. Can I know the conversion rates for kh to ph? for example. 3 dh = ph stablises at 6.0 maybe..

and also apart from PH fluctuations, wad about salt concentrations?

thanks

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
How much salt have you added? Unless it's lots, then it won't be an issue. There is no simple conversion between KH and pH; it depends on the CO2 concentration and the presence of other chemicals. Best is to suck it and see.

Although pH is logarithmic, it seems to equalise out half way between the two pHs if you do a 50% change. However, this does also depend on the acids present and the KH of the water. Your KH is pretty low so it's fairly simple. Again, suck it and see.

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
erm .. suck it and see? not literately right?

am i missing out on a pun or sth.. haha

thanks

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
"suck it and see" refers to finding out what sweets taste like by empirical testing. You need to do the same with your KH/pH issues - try it and see what happens.

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
oh haha im more familar with the trial and error phrase.. anyways thanks for your help!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
From the FINS site:

To raise the KH without raising the GH, add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), commonly known as baking soda. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 Liters raises the KH by about 1 dH. Sodium bicarbonate drives the pH towards an equilibrium value of 8.2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store