Has anyone trimmed a orandas cap?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I have a oranda and his wen (top cap) has grown over his eyes and his health is being affected by that cant find food cant see etc. is it possible to trim it away from his eyes and is that painful if its done? please any experienced in this let me know - thanks

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I have never done it, but you can find a vet who will.
And I also do not know if it causes pain... I'm sure if it does a vet could numb it or put the fish to sleep to do it.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Nice find. Very good description.

Don't try this yourself though. The chances of injury or infection is very high if it is not done professionally.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
that seems so weird/gross but that is also a fine example of dedication to your fish. maybe they should try and create a more controlled version of that strain so it dosen't get to that point in the first place?

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
yes I am done with oranda's for this very reason I have 8 of them now and it looks like they all are going to have to have the wen reduced I am going to go see my vet and see if he can or will do this I would never attempt to do this myself.

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Very good article. This seems to be what is happening to my oranda. I will need to check this out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store