Regarding Frozen Daphnia - Please help !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

I got a few trays of Frozen Daphnia Cubes today and I havea problem with it. Kindly help and guide me...

I tried to thaw the cubes for a few minutes, untill they melted and whe I added it to the tank, the Daphinia was just all over the place - They are so tiny that my Fronts are'nt able to recognize them as food atall. They tried their best to eat them but the daphnia are just too small. Is there any way that this can be corrected ? I mean will putting the frozen cubes directly in to the tank help ? I thought ifI do this, the daphnia will be slowly released and the fish food find it easier to eat...

Is this a good idea ? Can the fronts see the tiny daphnia anyway ?

Can I just put the cubes directly in to the tank ? Will the cold temperature of the food harm the fish in any way ?

Is there any substance that can be safely used as a gel the thawed daphnia together so that my fronts can easily eat them ?

Please help and guide me friends - with a LOT of great difficulty I have been able to arrange froze food for them and now its too tiny for them to even see !

Thanks and Regards!
Kush

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Can you get other frozen foods? It sounds like your fish need larger items, such as bloodworms or mysis shrimp.

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Can you get other frozen foods? It sounds like your fish need larger items, such as bloodworms or mysis shrimp.
Hi there !

Unfortunately, I can only get Frozen Daphnia and Tubifex worms. My Fish dont like Tubifex (both frozen or live) so it leaves me only with daphnia. I have already bought 10 trays of it :(

I'm trying to get frozen Brine Shrimps (as my fish love the freeze dried ones) - Are they good for my fish ?

Kindly advice...

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Brine shrimp are fine, but not as nutritious as the other two foods I mentioned. Hold on to those daphnia; if you get your frontosas to breed, the young will enjoy the daphnia.

I suggest trying to find some live foods. If you can go out into the country and poke through ponds, wet ditches, etc. you can probably find amphipods, mosquito larvae, and other tasty treats your fronts will love. Just be sure to collect from sources that seem clean and are not near places where pesticides, fertilizers, etc. are likely to have been sprayed.

If you find a good source, you can freeze the excess feeders for later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store