Corydora in trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
I'm currently running a tiny little 10 gallon tank, been having some troubles with high ammonia amounts but working at getting that under control.
My bigger, and breaking my heart problem, is that one of my corydora's has developed a wart-like/pinky-purple-y pimple on the top of his head. He's lying around, at times I think he's dead, but when I go to try and net him he just swims away and hides someone else in the tank!
I have no clue ehat this is, and can't seem to find any sort of information about it -
Wondering if anyone might have experienced this before, or knows something of it!
Please, I'm desperate here - I feel awful and keep wondering if I should just pull him from the tank and end his life. I can't tell if he's suffering, he's sometimes swims ok, other times funny...He apppears to seek out food but I'm not sure if he's really eating. The rest of the fish seem to stay away from him, other times they go close to check him out, and so that concerns me with passing on any diseases to the others in the tank -
At this point, unless I can get some sort of advice on what to do, I think I have no choice but to euthanize him...I so don't want to do that but I can't watch him like this anymore....

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
As it stands...When I check the PH it comes up Neutral.
When I check the ammonia, it's off the charts - between 2.0 and 4.0
I spent time on the phone yesterday with the folks at Tetra and everything she told me to do has failed in bringing these levels down. I keep doing water changes but that's not even helping...
I'm at a loss and wondering if the problem is coming from him?

Last edited:

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
As far as what else is in the tank -
I've got two guppies, two glo-light tetras, and two black phantom tetras and then two other corydoras who appear to be completely fine.

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
How long has the tank been setup? What kind of filtration are you using (gph would be helpful) have you added any medications to the tank? Can you post a picture of the sick fish? a picture is worth a thousand words on this board and it will definitely help with diagnosis. the Ammonia levels are the biggest concern at the moment. High Ammonia welcomes all kinds of nasty things to happen and keeping the water pristine is a big key to keeping fish healthy and free from disease.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
I would say you have some stocking issues. 9 fish seems like a lot to me for a 10 gallon.

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Ok- Originallly I was told I could keep up to ten little fish! What I've got are nine little ones. I'm using an Aqua-Tech Power filter model 5-15 which is the smallest one...
Tanks been set up since end of July and began putting fish in mid-august. Everything was fine up until two weeks ago...
As for getting a pic of him - I'll try but I can't promise anything....

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
No, I've not treated the water with anything for disease/parasites, etc.
As for him, He keeps hiding at the back of the tank, and chooses to face opposite of me or anything...He tucks into the bottom, belly up so that I can't see his face or that dam nubie on his head - Seriously, I'm thinking of euthanizing him. Might be the best thing. I feel like he's suffering and I can't seem to get this tank's water levels down to normal and so I fear losing the rest of them.... Could it be his "disease" that's causing all this high ammonia?

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Who told you 10 fish??? The number for a size of tank depends on what fish. Obviously you could not keep 10 oscars in the tank. Someone gave you bad advise I would say. Even using the 1 gallon per 1 inch rule (which I have been told is bogus) you couldn't fit this many fish in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store