WHAT KIND OF POOL FILTER SAND SHOULD BE AVOIDED ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I want to use pool filter sand for my aquarium. What are the differences in this sand ? What ingredients should I avoid in the pool filter sand ? I heard something about silica but not sure if that is good or bad .

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Can i go to a pool place and say i want some sand ? what are the ways to tell if it is bad for the tank such as containing things that are harmful. Treated with what ?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Some sand has additives to control algae or aid with chlorination. Expalin what you want. Read the labels.

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
thanks, the thing is, I don't know what it is i am trying to avoid in the pool filter sand. what does everyone here use and what ingredient do i need to make sure is NOT in the sand ?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
If it's cheap, there are no additives - that's what you want (it costs only a little more than playsand, which you don't want as there are more silicate issues with it). All other things being equal, you want it as coarse as you can get it. #20 mesh or even a lower number than that is preferable.

(#20 means that your sand can fall through a mesh made from 20 wires per inch) - think finer than typical aquarium gravel, but coarser than regular sand - that's ideal.

Also - stay away from diatomaceous earth (a.k.a. DE, it's fine, white powdery stuff - is good for certain filters, not as a substrate, though).

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I picked up 3 50lb bags of #20 mesh pool filter sand it says it is silica sand. it is brown in color and was $11.00 for a 50 lb bag, i hope this is the right stuff.

Tedzbug

AC Members
Aug 16, 2008
Warren, Michigan
I bought mine at a LPS (local pool store) :rolleyes: it was about 9-10 bucks a bag and is more of an off white color, and also says silica sand

I washed mine about 20lbs at a time in a 5 gallon bucket with the hose nozzle in the sand agitating it a constantly until the water ran clear. My tank water cleared up very quickly after adding water

bert

Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
mine is a brand called target and it comes from canada. it is a light brown/tan and it says processed silica sand and dried and sterilized, low dust.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store