Starving bettas at church

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
In my church library there are 2 bettas in vases.
They have some kind of plant with the roots in the water.
Their little tunnies are nearly sunken in, and they're obviously bored to death..
The librarian was not there, so I had no one to speak with.
I'm pretty sure they think the bettas will eat the root, or they wouldn't be so skinny.

The vases are tiny, on has about 1/4 gallon of water, the other might be around a gallon.

I plan on trying to get the bettas each a small unfiltered tank with some of my own plants, and maybe a snail. I cannot do filtered because they're both sitting on the middle of a table.

On a side note, the 2 hours I had to spend sitting there showed me just how smart bettas are. I used a shoe lace and made shapes for them, and also used the frilly end for them to chase off like a fish.
they watched all of the shapes I made, you could tell they were interested in what I was doing, probably the most exciting thing he had seen all day. I'm not saying they were actually interested in the actual shapes, but the fact that there was something dark, that changed often, unlike everything else in the library.
the other people must have thought I was quite crazy :D

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Oops, I forgot my question... Where can I find at least a 1.5 gallon tank rather cheap?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Any LFS, petsmart/petco, or Walmart I would think.....and any tank that small should be pretty darn cheap.

Yeah they sell those bettas in vases and advertise that the betta will eat the roots and - since they live in "puddles" and all - be just fine in that tiny bit of water. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, I don't know how anyone could believe that all a fish needs to eat is roots, no matter what the people selling it try to tell you.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i agree on the snail thing, thats a nice thing you are doing though! the bettas will love you forever and ever lol

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Poor babies. Kudos to you and good luck with their upgrade...now if you can convince and teach someone to feed them!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
lol i think the real struggle would be to convince and teach people to actually believe that they deserve/need attention! lol

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Hey, if any of you guys know of a good, simple betta care sheet let me know.
I can print a couple out and give them to the librarians.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
This may not work out for in the library but I have seen large clear plastic containers for pretzels that I think would make an excellent tank. The things are at least a gallon but I think they're more. Eat the pretzels and get a free tank!

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store