Black Moor Issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gabrie30

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
While at Meijers I saw a very helpless Black Moor in a tank full of dead plecostomi (sp?). Anyways I felt really bad as he was malnurished and on his way out. I took pity on the little feller and impulsively bought him. Got him home set up a quarentine tank, within a day he developed fin rot so I treated him with meds, and a salt bath. He started turning around and is now plumped up and swimming vigorously. I took him out of the QT and placed him in my biggest tank 20g long, with 12 other fish.

4 platys
4 rasboras
2 cories
2 dwarf chiclids

He seems happy so far, swimming and eating very well. I have lowered the temperature to 72 degrees, which is about as low as its going to get. I have upgraded my filtering capastities from a single HOB to a HOB and a canister filter I found off craigslist for $10.00. Since he's still a lilttle guy how much longer do I have before I have to upgrade to a larger tank? Also what size tank do you think would be best? I was thinking a 29 gallon would be a good size. So far all the fish seem compatible, however in the long run do you think everyone can be happy living together? If you were in this situation what would be your move?

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I would consider buying a 50 gallon tank in a couple of months, say maybe 3-5 months. A 29 gallon is minimum to hold one fancy goldfish (or was it 20?), but a 50 would be better, plus you'd have room to add another fancy (or two) for companionship. In the long run, a 20 long would not work for the goldie, you'd see nitrates skyrocketing.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Yep a 29 gallon would work for one black moor only. The only other thing you could keep in a tank with him would be one of the larger snail species. I would go larger if you could. Goldfish like to have company and are much happier with a friend or two.

I would buy the tank as soon as you can. The lower temps are good for the goldfish but not for the rest of the fish in your tank. Goldfish and tropicals not only have different temperature requirements, they have different feeding requirements as well. Tropical flakes are high on protein and low on fiber. Goldfish need a higher fiber, lower protein diet. For a black moor you'll need to move to sinking pellets soon to avoid swim bladder issues.

What type of canister did you get? Hopefully its one of of the larger models that will work on a larger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store