Goldfish with early signs of Dropsy...need treatments advice ASAP please!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

K8t

Registered Member
Nov 3, 2008
Hi, I am new to this forum, but have been reading through the posts as they have been very helpful. My goldfish is in the beginning stages of pine coning from what I’m afraid is dropsy. I transferred him to a hospital tank yesterday and began strictly feeding him the antibiotic gel “ampicillan”. He is swimming around the tank, but I would like to start Epsom salt treatments that have been recommended to me. My question is what are the measurements for an epsom salt treatment in a 10 gal tank?? I've hear 1/4 teaspoon every 12 hours as well as 1-2 tablespoons..big difference, so which is it? I just don’t want to over medicate him with water soluble treatments, but know that it’s better for his prognosis the sooner I treat his early symptoms of dropsy. He is the only goldfish we have in a 10 gallon tank with 1 whisper carbon water filter. I will update with water parameters if needed, but it’s a new, un-cycled hospital tank. Also...can I do the Epsom salt treatments the same time as the medicine maracyn2? Or do I even need maracyn2 with the ampicillan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
FYI, pine coning is the later stage of Dropsy, and is caused by the severe bloating. Good luck, as most fish that bloat to the point of pineconing are usually past the point of saving.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
good luck, it is very difficult to treat. my mom successfully treated hers with dropsy for it to get it again a couple months later and pass away. it sucks ;(

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Once you see the pine-coning it's usually too late

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store