Need help with our pregnant mickey mouse platy!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asweetpea83

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2008
Seems to be an odd question, but kind of new to the whole freshwater fish thing.

We have a pregnant mickey mouse platy (didn't realize we had a male and a female)that seemed to have only dropped 4 of her fry. She is still very very round but is extremely active.

We had 2 mollies that were pregnant and gave birth to a large number of babies. They instantly slimmed out and rested. Out of those 40 of the fry survived.

We are slightly confused as to why our mickey mouse is still round *the pregnant round*

Is it possible that she had premature fry? We have had her under 24 hour baby watch (haha). We didn't put her in the breeder net because we were told it would stress her too much. As each of the 4 were born, we caught them and put them in the breeder net to keep them safe. It has been almost 13 hours since then and no more have come. We are just confused. HELP!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I had a female that had multiple fry at 2 or 3 different times. I asked about it on the boards and was told that the female can hold the sperm or eggs for over a month. Mine had a dozen or so, then 20 more a week later, than 30 or 40 more another week after that. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store