My New Little Fuzzy Butt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
Haha...I know a funny title for it...but that is "his" name--we call him L.B. And this post is for you Tif!:)

He is a North American Tarantula. I am happy to share some photos that I took yesterday--I know that they aren't the best..but they are the best I could get!lol (and Ill post more as I have them!)

Hehe....My dog-Beau-over seeing the picture taking!

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I used to have one of those. Yours kinda looks like a male. The sad thing about that is the fact that they die shortly after the the molt that brings them to sexual maturity. Based on the size of your it looks like you should have him for at least a year or 2.

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
Thanks for your info King....would it help if I got him a female? As in do you know if that makes them not die after molting?

dhgyello04

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Manteca, CA
Abby
Don’t tell me you’re into spiders too... ha-ha I sure like the batman collar on your dog... Nice spider by the way

Don

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think its just a spider thing to mate and then die. But I am not completely sure. Most bugs dont live very long. A year or two is quite a while. He really is a big boy though.

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
haha....yes Don I do like MY spider--but dont tell Barbie!LOL Yes I think your right Tif...I just wasnt sure if anyone knew about any secretes!lol He is really fun to watch!:) I didnt know that they were as active as they are!

Oh and Im not about to touch him-with out gloves on....not yet at lease.....but this is from the girl who had someone-hmmm who?-MAKE me touch a snake...cause I REALLY wanted to hold one...and then you couldnt get them away from me!lol

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Spiders really creep me out but he is really interesting looking, just dont ever bring him around me. What does he eat?

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
Spiders really creep me out but he is really interesting looking, just dont ever bring him around me. What does he eat?
LOL...I don't plan on it....you and B. shall never be forced to be next to him!LOL

In fact my Dad already said that he prob wants to keep him when I want to move out!!LOL

Oh and he eats crickets...SM. ones.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Identifying Features

A female tarantula has a more stocky body than a male and is covered in a light brown or tan hair (thus it is sometimes called the Arizona Blond Tarantula). The male is thinner and "lankier", with black hair covering most of the body and reddish hairs on its abdomen. Tarantulas have two body parts (the cephalothorax and the abdomen), eight walking legs and two pedipalps that are used for touching and moving prey.
Adaptations

Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations in the ground that may indicate the presence of prey or danger. They are equipped with urticating hairs on their abdomen which can be released by kicking with the back legs; these hairs irritate the nose and eyes of would-be attackers.
Habitat

Tarantulas live in dry, well-drained soils in open areas throughout the desert and grassland areas. All North American tarantulas are ground-dwellers although some other species live in trees, cliffs, caves, or in crops like bananas and pineapples.
Range

Tarantulas occur worldwide. Those in North America occur in the southern and southwestern states, with many other species occurring to the south throughout Mexico, Central and South America.
Wild Status

Some tarantula species are endangered because of habitat destruction and over-collection for the pet trade. Our local species is common and is not currently threatened.
Diet

Tarantulas are nocturnal hunters. They feed primarily on insects like grasshoppers, beetles, other small spiders and arthropods, and will sometimes eat small lizards. They will attempt to overcome anything of the right size that moves in their range. Most tarantulas have weak venom.
Predators

Predators of tarantulas include lizards, snakes, spider-eating birds, coyotes and foxes.
Home

The desert tarantula lives in a deep burrow which is lined with silk webbing to prevent its caving in. The hole is enlarged as the spider grows. If suitable soil is not available an occasional individual may hide in cracks or logs.
Life Span

Male tarantulas live 10 to 12 years. Females can live twice as long.
Size

In the Sonoran Desert, tarantulas grow to a length of 3 to 4 inches (70-100 mm).
Extra Fun-facts

• The Tarantula Hawk, a large spider wasp, searches out tarantulas and attempts to sting them. If successful, the sting paralyzes the spider. The wasp will then lay an egg on it, and seals it up in a burrow. The paralyzed spider provides "fresh meat" for the wasp grub to eat after it hatches from the egg.
  • Most spiders have no teeth with which to chew their food, so they rely on their venom to liquefy their prey. They then use their sucking stomachs to draw in or 'suck" up the meal.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/tarantula.php

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store