LR in Brackish Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fordsrule_68

AC Members
Jan 30, 2004
Colorado
Visit site
We have a LFS that has live rock for $5/lb. I was wondering if I could put this in my brackish tank will be putting a GSP in it. I know the bacteria would die off, would I have to rinse the LR in tap water or let it soak to help so I don't get an ammonia spike or boil it. The tank is currently cycling and I have aragonite for substrate. I will eventually go to full marine as the GSP gets older. SG is 1.009 P.H. is 7.8-8.0. If this won't work what kind of rock could I use then. Thanks for your help.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would go with plain lace rock or dry base rock - you would get the same, or a similar look, without dealing with the huge die-off, and would save a lot of money too.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
what is die off

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yes, the point of live rock is that it harbors millions of microorganisms (feather dusters, pods, macroalgae, sponges, bristleworms, etc) as well as the beneficial bacteria needed to filter the tank. When you put LR into fresh or brackish water, all this stuff is going to die and you'll get a huge ammonia spike.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
does adding base rock to a brackish tank help later on if you convert that tank to full marine?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Yes, the LR you add later (when the tank is SW), will "seed" the dead lace rock & make it live. Much cheaper/safer alternative.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
pufferpunk: i was wondering if it all should be added at the same time (lr and br), but i think i will try the same thing: adding the br fairly soon (my gsp is at 1.016 sg and hes almost 3" long now)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store