Clownfish aggression during feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Overgrownaquati

Registered Member
Nov 2, 2008
portland, OR
HI, this my first post on this board :)

I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish. I bought them as a pair about a month ago and they have been doing well, I feed them 3 to 4 times a day. In the morning its a mixture of spirulina enriched brineshrimp and chopped krill, then for the other feedings i feed pellet food, just two little pellets crushed up and floated on the surface of the water.
Recently the female has become much more aggressive towards the male during feeding time, to the point that anytime i go over to the tank she begins to attack him while looking for food, whether i feed or not. The rest of the time they are peaceful, and even sleep together on the tank bottom at night.
Ironically, the female's tail fin is appearing tattered now, while the male looks just fine. This is my main concerns as i have them in a mixed reef tank which limits my options as far as medication might go.
Any thoughts? am i feeding too much? I am very careful and they appear to be eating everything i put in...am i not feeding enough? should i do 1 big feeding rather than many little feedings?

Thanks for listening

Eddiecorrea

War kitty! God hates cats!
Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
:welcome: to AC

Well its hard to tell. Clowns tend to be aggressive towards each other when they are establishing who is boss. I would do one or two feedings a day. I tend to only do one because I get up before the lights are on and Im off to work. I feed at about 8pm when I get home. Thats about an hr before the lights go off. I feed OraGlo Pellets and I dont crush them. Just throw in 5 or 6 at a time until they stop eating them. Mine usually eat 6 or so each. I might throw in a few right when I get home from work as a snack and a way to kinda say hi to them.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I must be the meanest fishkeeper on the planet, I feed once a day or less. A happy fish is a hungry fish.

I don't know if they get temperamental or not, but mine act like that from time to time for no apparent reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store