Eel and Bichir Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

technaturalist

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
After a dreadful ammonia spike that killed all but my skirt tetra and cory by the time I fixed my water in my 55 gallon community tank, I've decided to make it a bottom dweller, semi-aggressive tank. Here is what I plan to get...
1 pleco
2 SAEs
2 Dino bicher
1 peacock eel
2 dragon goby
(I would just add them to my currant stock of 7 larger cory and 7 black skirt tetra)
would this work?

Neervana

AC Members
May 17, 2008
London
noooo...too much fish, too little space!what kind of plec are you talking about? if common plec..exchange for something that wont grow as big. and by the way 2 bichirs wont fare well in a 55gal.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
SAEs and eels don't mix with bichirs IMO. Which species of bichir is this? Polypterus ornatipinnis are reputed to try anything even if they don't appear to fit their mouths.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Too many large fish in that set-up, and the gobies do not belong. As fishorama already pointed out, they should be kept in brackish water. But they're also shy and relatively slow, they're peaceful and they have special feeding needs. The big mouths are misleading, they're sand sifters and scavengers rather than predators. If the bichirs don't beat 'em to death, they'll starve unless you make special arrangements. Please do more research on dragon gobies before ya get one.

WYite

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Everyone has detailed the problems of your setup accurately. The peacock eel and bichir would both enjoy your other fish as snacks, the plecos will grow to a bout 2-3 feet, the gobies are brackish, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store