Fantail turns black????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jtothelyn

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2008
New Jersey
So, after very much time, effort and research, I finally acquired a 55 gallon fishtank, which has evolved into my pride and joy. I currently house 3 small red-eared sliders, and about a dozen feeders (comets), as well as all living plants and snails (for maintenance!). I made a bit of a mistake, however, in the beginning (before I got the turtles). And that was buying 2 beautiful red and white fantails (Orandas or something or other). I am an experienced red-eared slider owner, however, it’s been a LONG time since I’ve had some youngsters on my hands. I knew that the turtles might nip at them, but as small as they were, I really didn’t think they would be quick enough to latch on to my guys.

My original goal was to have a harmonized tank with both fish and turtles, which is why I got the RES’s so small, and put in a sh**-load of comets. I knew that they would end up grabbing them in time, and in turn, cutting down on my comet stock to the point where the tank wasn’t too crowded with everything growing. In time, the turtles either get bored or lazy with the fish, or just don’t bother because they can’t catch them (survival of the fittest!). Plus, keeping the turtles well fed with their pellets keeps them full so there is no need for them to hunt the pretty fish.

So imagine my surprise when I came home and half of my comets were gone! Even more depressing was seeing one of the fantails heads floating around L. The other fantail was swimming around, unharmed (or so it SEEMED), so I quickly scooped him out and put him in my sick tank to save his life. From there, he settled to the bottom of the tank and sat there for about a week. As the week progressed, I noticed that the turtles had taken a couple bites at him, as I could see their little bite marks showing up in a pinkish/reddish color. The only positive thing I could see was that the turtles didn’t bite deep…they were more like surface wounds that didn’t even take scales off. It looked worse and worse as the days went by and he just sat on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was a goner, for sure.

The good news is, my little guy SURVIVED! He is now swimming around happily, eating and functioning normally. I’m so proud of the little guy, as well as sorry for putting him through that terrible ordeal.

However, my question is: WHY did he turn black? Everywhere he was bitten, he has turned a grayish-blackish color, and he now looks like a calico! Are these bruises? Will it go away? If so, then how long does this process take? Or is it permanent because the scales were so traumatized? Once again, he is acting perfectly normal after his week-long hiatus on the bottom of the tank, so I know he’s gunna make it….I’m just curious as to what this black stuff is all over him.

Also, I have noticed this same occurrence on some of my comets—they got bit (and obviously got away), and a few days later they turn black in the area that they were bit.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I tried googling, but couldn't find much of anything about this...so i figured i'd best hand this question over to the experts in this forum :)

Thanks in advance!

p.s. FYI-My tank is now pretty much harmonized! The RES's are now leaving the fish alone! It's been about a week since I've lost any comets, and I know it may seem a bit presumptuous of me, but i think everything will work out well the way it's going :)

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
The black marks you see will go away in time. I have a common goldfish that had a lot of black marks when I first got him out of the feeder tank. Now the black is gone and it is a lovely red orange color all over.

edit here is a picture of my common goldfish a month or so after I got it, as you can see there is no black anymore :D

goldies 22.jpg

goldfish injuries turn black as they are healing....or that is what I have been told.
I had/have one that suffered some ammonia burns during cycling...all her burns turned black as they healed, then turned back to orange.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store