my brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i figured it was time to start a thread on this tank that i have at home considering the night i had last night with it

i came home last night to find a slow leak in the pipe had caused my roof to fall in by the scat tank so i did a fast turn over into a new tank i had gotten for them

i added my live rock that i had been holding for when i did a sw set up and plan to up the salinity of the water till i get it to 1.021 right now its at about 1.014 just wondering if i should amp it right up to 1.021 or do it gradual here is the old an new tank

old

new

the other ? i have is that after being in the new tank for a few hours the live rock has what looks like marine organisms that are rehydrating since i have zero experience with live rock or sw i thought this to be the best place to come to start into THE DARK SIDE :dive2: time to sink or swim considering the reason why i had to do such a fast turn of the tank

any input appreciated

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Where did this rock come from? Was it completely cured? I'm afraid you have a huge tank crash ahead of you. LR needs a SG of at least 1.018 if not higher or the organisims & bacteria will die off in droves. I would have cured/acclimated it to the lower SG slowly, in a bucket, testing for ammonia/nitrite, before adding to the tank. Be sure to keep a very close eye on the parameters in your tank.

Eventually, those scats will outgrow that tank.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
the salinity of the water in the tank is presently 1.014 and the live rock came out of someones 33g sw tank that they shut down about 8-12 months ago

i had to flip the tanks fast as the roof above the other fell in due to water pipe leak but i showed that in my tanks thread you can see the hole in the roof in the picture i did not like the idea of plaster fallin in my tank thought that might ruin water quality

i plan to do daily wc and get the salinity up to 1.023 in increments of 10%per every 2-3 days so as to not shock them suddenly with full on salt

i have a variety of empty tanks that i can use what size you recommend for them i have a nice custom 140g my glass guy is almost done doing

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
So if the SW tank was shut down almost a year ago...where has the liverock been since then? I would keep a VERY close eye on ammonia levels...

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
the ammonia i plan to control with daily wc of min 40% twice daily if need be the rock was dried in a closed bucket

i spoke to marinemad in pm a bit about this i will be doing everything in my power to make sure i dont lose this tank i got a full range of sw test kits when i picked up the rock an the 33g tank

i have a few tanks bigger than this 140g i just secured a 300g new from a breeder and there is a 160g in a lfs that i can get for $450 as well there is a person who saw my 180g here at the cafe and told me that come the end of nov he was shutting down his 180 would i like it so my plans are to eventually have a full on sw tank that is min 140g maybe 250g

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if the live rock has dried out it's not live anymore. all you have are dirty rocks.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
if the live rock has dried out it's not live anymore. all you have are dirty rocks.

:nutkick: nice one :flamed:

but in the end of it aleast they are nice rocks and when im done with it they will be alive again :woot:so alive that it will :shocked:

im hoping that in the end it will be :mwave:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store