Betta has whitish spots on head

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

learn2turn

AC Members
Sep 6, 2008
I got a betta for the fish bowl. It's got some whitish spots on its head. I little bit fuzzy and off-grayish white. Not sure if it's a parasite or a fungus. Looks like it's more well-organized spots then just fuzz everywhere.

Any idea what disease it could be and what to do about it?

I did see the disease sticky but it lists like 30 diseases and since I don't know what it is, I don't know where to start reading.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Hmmm, it could be ick. I sure hope not. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of keeping bettas in fish bowls though, it's not the healthiest or nicest method of keeping a fish. How big is the bowl, and how full of water is the bowl? It could just be the fish is stressed from dirty water. Also, bettas like warm water, and if your water is below 76 degrees, it could also be stressing him. How often are you doing partial water changes? That is very important. I'd start doing a 30% water change every day, and be sure to add dechlorinator. Keep his water very, very clean, always.

My betta is in a 10g tank with some guppies. At one point I had several guppies in there with him, and I guess the water parameters got a bit off from overcrowding. (basically resulting in "dirty" water) He developed some white spots on his head. I did a partial water change, and took out some guppies, and he cleared right up.

learn2turn

AC Members
Sep 6, 2008
Well, maybe it is Ich. The bowl has plants so what I think I will try is to move it to another bowl. Then use the two tsp/gal salt method in that bowl. I don't have an easy way to raise temp as I don't have an heater lying around. I'll try to think of something or else treat for a long time. If I cure it, then in several weeks I'll move it back to the planted bowl.

It's only a $4 or $5 fish so it's no big deal but I feel like I should at least try to care for it properly.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
yeah, at the very least, you should try to keep it healthy and not stressed, regardless of how much you paid it. . If it's within your budget, try to get a small tank for it, something that has adequate filtration, heating, etc.

learn2turn

AC Members
Sep 6, 2008
I took another look at it compared to the pictures on the web and it seems like the spots are a little bigger and a little fuzzier than the Ich pictures I see. Maybe these are cysts about to pop or maybe fungus??? Hard to tell.

marbilus

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
if you intend on keeping a betta you'd be better served (price wise) to buy a heater rather than spend your money and time on expensive treatments

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
whatever the case, being stressed isnt gunna help, with or without treatment. 5 gallon or bigger

if you intend on keeping a betta you'd be better served (price wise) to buy a heater rather than spend your money and time on expensive treatments
i agree

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store