It's a blob!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
It's a blob!

No, wait! It's just my new Hogchoker! He/she is only about a quarter in size, I almost missed seeing it in the bag when it came today.

And it's translucent enough that with a regular source of light behind it you can see it's spine and organs. I probably find this more fascinating than anyone else does, heh.

Anyway, I'm really excited to finally have one. Though, it's a little strange having such a tiny thing in a large tank. Does anyone know how quickly (or not quickly) these guys grow?

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Yep, Trinectes maculatus. Hogchokers, what's commonly sold as "freshwater flounder".

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Nope, this is my first one. And I have it in a thirty six gallon tank, with light brackish water to match what the previous owner had. I'll start adjusting/raising the salinity levels as it grows, since most seem to concur that it will need near marine conditions as an adult (although, someone on here or MFK has several adults of this species in freshwater without issue).

As for tankmates, it doesn't have any. Not yet at least, some people on MFK suggested halfbeaks and sailfins. But that's not anything I'm going to look into until it's larger and not snack sized.

Last edited:

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I have never seen one so small! Very cool looking fishy you got there!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I wonder how it got that funny name? Doesn't look like it could choke a hog at all!

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
I wonder how it got that funny name? Doesn't look like it could choke a hog at all!
They actually did though. The name comes from "back in the day" when hog farmers used to use this fish to feed their hogs. The hogs would often choke on the spines, bony scales and bones of this fish. But I guess that's what you get for feeding any whole fish to a hog, their bones and scales are bound to get stuck in the throat sooner or later, yikes! X_x

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
very cool fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store