Best lighting to bring out cichlid colors?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alaskan4ever

Alaskan4ever
Feb 19, 2006
Inman,SC
I am currently using 2 regular Florecent lights I got from Lowes , with the aquarium bulbs from the Walmart Aquarium section.
There are 2 of them , each 36 inches inside a top I made myself. My tank if 4 ft long and 120 gallons but because of the thickness of the MDF I used for the top , I was unable to get a 48 in light in there forcing me to use 2.
I like the more blueish look inside the tank but is it the BEST for my cichlids?
What bulbs should I use and do they cost alot?
:thm:

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
coralife bulbs are great you could use the 10,000K bulb for daylight and go with a corallife true actinic bulb that will give the blue look i have it on all my tanks and my fish look great as well, as for price there not cheap wal-mart is the only place were you are going to find cheap and you get what you pay for in bulbs, if money is an issue you could try browsing the web for deals..

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Powerglo bulbs have served me very well, they're being cost effective, while having a blue sheen and being bright.

Alaskan4ever

Alaskan4ever
Feb 19, 2006
Inman,SC
But cichlids aren't too keen on super bright light are they?
Thanks for the ideas. Of course mine are only 18 i18 inches so the cost should NOT be too bad right?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I use Coralife 50/50's, T-12's. 6000, fish colors appear more vibrant and the tank have a slight blue appearance, I have not tried any other specialty bulbs yet....:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store