Are telescope eyes prone to swim bladder disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MelIsCool

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
My black moore recently died. He could no longer swim, and he laid on the bottom of the container I had relocated him to, on his back, for a few days before he finally perished. I refreshed the water each day, because I wanted him to have oxygenated water. His swim bladder disease had progressively gotten worse over the past 6 months or so, as he was always sucking air from the surface of the water. I have a Fluval canister filter and an airstone in the tank, so all I could think is that it was just a bad habit of his. His tankmate doesn't suck at the air, and doesn't have swim bladder disease. And once or twice a week, I gave them peas, and I tried to fast them every so often, hoping to clean out his system.

Anyway, I was at the pet store today, and they had a tank of beautiful telescope eyes. Some of those fish were floating upside down. It makes me wonder if telescope eyes are prone to swim bladder diesease. Any opinions?

MelIsCool

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
He couldn't swim anymore, so he kept being sucked into the filter intake. I would use the net to move him away from the filter, but not long after, he would once again be held against the filter intake. It seemed like an uncomfortable way to live, for sure.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Telescopes in general are not prone to buoyancy problems, but that individual may have been genetically predispositioned to it. With round-bodied goldfish the organs are effectively smashed together so frequently they do not function as well as they should.

MelIsCool

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
Oh, well that makes sense. I know fancy goldfish have that problem, but when I saw the tank of telescopes with many of them floating, I thought maybe I should stay away from them for good.

Thank you for answering!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Any round-bodied breed is more sensitive to many things and can be prone to buoyancy problems (swim bladder or digestive). Water quality and diet tend to be the two main things that can cause it. Dealers' tanks are not known for their high quality water or food. This is actually one reason I prefer to buy from LFSs, if they do well under those conditions, they will thrive under ideal conditions at home. Buy them online and you risk getting some way too sensitive.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i used to work at one of my LFS and they didn't feed their fish until something on the shelf expired...it was really sad the way they treated them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store