Look what I found on a hike in the mountains

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I was going through a trail in Southern Oregon when I recognized a couple of certain bushes with orange bark and pale green leaves the size of a half dollar coin:

There where loads of them, I only carried as many as I could in my arms and having to walk a couple of miles. Next time I go, I will take a couple of thick branches and some more end pieces. The ones who are orange-brown are ones I ripped off a live tree and plucked the leaves off it, I heard they need to dry for a couple of months before they are soaked. However the black ones are ones I found already dead and dries, all I need to do is sand it, soak it and put it in my tank.

Just in case you haven't seen it in its raw form, this is Manzanita. :)

spunjin

Manzanita Supplier
Aug 7, 2008
Ridgecrest, CA
seanrubino.com
Real Name
Sean Rubino
Camera Used
iPhone X
That is it. Manzanita in the raw. Beautiful tree/bush. I soak mine (the dry dark grey branches) for about a week and then brush them with a stiff nylon brush and then soak them again until they are waterlogged.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
^ Yeah, I was kind of afraid a park ranger would stop me and ask where I got that wood. It's not that it's illegal, it's that it would seem kind of silly telling him that this dry gray ugly wood would go in a beautiful planted fish tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice find..it should look great.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I think manzanita is a beautiful hardwood. Sometimes you can find some with stunning color patterns on them. Nice find!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store