Reverse Osmosis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
Hey guys, I have a big 100 (to 125gal) tank and I'm tired of giving $1.25/5 gallons of RO water at the LFS. I could goto the drinking water store for 1.00 but, that is still expensive.

So I was wondering what the better solution was...and of course I think I already know. its to get a reverse osmosis majigger thing. What brand(s) should I look at, is GPD very important? maybe 100 GPD would be faboulous, maybe 200 GPD.

Any links, please post! and help out a fellah.

"we spend money on things we use for free! we spend money on things we use for free! like water." -chris rock, kill the messenger

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree:

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
why are you using ro water?

for my plants. isn't RO water waht the LFS gives you, and waht the "drinking water stores" give you? from waht i know, even just tap off, it should be RO too because you dont want to introduce more elements, just replenishing the loss of water no?

I'm in california, in the beach cities, not too far from mgamer?

and thanks for the links guys

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Nope. Plants need trace elements present in tap water and lacking in RO. You only need RO if your water is excessively hard, like 600ppm

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
:iagree: With plants, you will have to add trace elements back in if you are using RO water that are naturally present in tap water. Why take them out just to put them back in if you don't need to seriously soften your water?

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
wow.... too bad I didn't discover the fourm until... a few months ago... drinking water :)

oblongshrimp

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
I use 100% RO water in my tanks with aquasoil and 100% tap water with my tanks with eco complete. Here in Phoenix the tap water is probably 500ppm or so. I am growing some softwater plants that prefer the RO and aquasoil combo but otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. If you get a RO system get a 75gpd membrane. From what I have heard from the companies that make and sell these the 75gpd is the best membrane in terms of quality. Your water pressure and water temp will also effect the output of your RO unit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store