Help! Red "scales" on chocolate oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Help. Got home from work and checked my "boys" and there was a fairly large red blotch on the right flank of my new chocolate oranda.
Photo attached.
What is it? Did he scratch himself? Did someone bite him? What do I do to treat him?

I have a 10 g. tank but the there had been ich in that tank last week. And, I haven't done anything with it ...no filter running. Do I want to move him out?

Yikes.

IMG_0340.JPG

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like he damaged himself on something.
That is a very big wound and he may not be able to recover from it. Start doing daily large water changes (30-50%). The cleaner the water the less chance of infection. If the wound grows any larger treat immediately with a gram-negative antibiotic.

Look around your tank and there any sharp objects or places where he could have gotten stuck?

Here's hoping he comes out of it alright.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Should I move him to another tank with all clean water? It hasn't cycled...I really don't want to lose him. I just lost 5 tropical fish to ich last week in another tank...:(

I don't have any water setting out yet to be ready to do a water change. Does it matter? I have water treatment.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you have water treatment just match temps and your good to go. There really is with water treatment there really is no reason to age the water anymore.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
If you have water treatment just match temps and your good to go. There really is with water treatment there really is no reason to age the water anymore.
Thank you. I will do a water change this morning before heading to work. I also have my 10 g. tank cleaned, no gravel, treated water ready to go.

He looks fine this morning. Eating. I have three rounded stones in the tank. Perhaps he scratched himself if the one of the other goldfish was chasing him. Really nothing else in the tank since i don't want their beautiful tails to be damaged.

Thank you,

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
if the tank isnt cycled yet, make sure you keep an EXTRA eye on your amm/nitrite/trate, as the fish is going to be more susceptible to harm from high levels of these than a healthy fish.

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
One of my orandas had a wound just like that. He'd knocked a scale off while I was away from home, by the time I had come back it had got infected. Water changes and the correct dosage of aquarium salt to try and sooth any irritation soon healed it up. It took a long time for the scale to grow back. Goldfish are a lot tougher than people thing. Medication is usually unnecessary and can do more harm than good. My advice is to keep his tank clean, keep up with the water changes and just generally spoil him

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
I got up this morning; did a water change in the 38 g. tank; sat down and while drinking my coffee observed the chocolate oranda. Noticed the other two goldfish rooting around on the gravel. The chocolate guy just hanging out. 10 minutes before going out the door to work; scooped him up and moved him to the 10 g. after creating a "salt bath" for him; gave him breakfast. Got home tonight, he's looking a bit more perky. Wound doesn't look larger. Gave him supper. I'll check the water parameters this evening.
Thanks for all the feedback...I'll keep you posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store