do common clownfish host an area of a FOWLR tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
mine spends a lot of time in the back rear corner and even seems to have dug a little sand depression in there, he faces the corner too. he didn't do this the first night. he eats, and i've seen sick fish but he seems fine and he will swim around from time to time and he looks normal. is this because he has no partner or anemone? all other creatures seem normal

ph 8.1
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
SG 1.023

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Many of the more diminutive clownfish species often tend to "hug" a particular area. It is mostly remnants of instinct, since it is similar to what they would do in the wild. Not all individuals do it, but many do.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
dang. i just seen other people say theirs did similar things too after a little googling. i hope this little bugger snaps out of it! i'm going to get him a friend to pal around with.

what great hardy, beginner fish can you (or anyone else) suggest that would be compatible with a small common clown and a green chromis, some hermits and a couple turbos?

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
20 gallon fowlr, also any type of corals or something that will grow with just 2 coralife compact mini 50/50 20 watt bulbs?

oh the clown has decided to stop "clowning around" ;) he's swimming about now much more.:)

cynicalcriminal

AC Members
Mar 17, 2004
Capital Region, NY
Visit site
I picked up a couple clowns in a tank I adopted. The one lil' clown does very similar things at night when the lights go out.

There is a shell up against the glass in the front of the tank, and the clown will rub back and forth between the shell and tank repeatedly. Then he wedges himself in there, and sticks his fins out and holds on, and (I guess?) sleeps there like that.

Every night he goes to the same area, and repeats the process. Weird, but cute.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store