"Freshwater" Test Kit ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

llebcire

AC Members
Oct 19, 2003
Iowa City, IA
home.mchsi.com
Hello, all! This is a great forum that I've learned quite a bit from!

I started with freshwater and stumbled across a great deal on a used tank in a LFS which I intended to move my Cichlids into, but have instead taken the saltwater route...needless to say, this is proving to be quite an interesting hobby!

The tank was used as a saltwater tank b4, and in looking at the equipment with it, saltwater sems to be a natural (that and the hints from my GF..."Cichlids are kewl, but saltwater fish...). Anyway, it's an Oceanic 75 gallon reef-ready overflow tank w/stand, AMiracle wet/dry, Eheim 600 gal/hr, Red Sea skimmer, Aquaclear powerhead, and RENA® Cal Excel
300 Watt heater.

My question would be the accuracy of readings from my "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit"? The tank has been up for a while and I added 3 smaller Damsels four days ago, along with a dose of Cyle then and more this morning (14 capfulls initially and 28 today).

My readings are as follows:
PH 8.4
Ammonia 1 (approx.)
Nitrate .25

A different LFS told me that they use the same kits to test fresh and marine water, and the other individual kits from Doc Wellfish appear to be the same. Given my limited knowledge, my results appear to be normal for the length of time that the fish have been in.

Any thoughts or experience?

I realize that as time goes on and if I venture towards a reef tank that I will need additional test kits, but theses tests are my immediate concern.

Thanks!!

Eric

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
I have an Aquarium Pharm. test kit but I don't know if it's the same as yours. It's at my dad's house so I can't look. But it came with 4 kits, pH... Ammonia... Nitrate... Nitrite... And I think it works for both fresh and salt water.

If the PH kit in yours can test in the high range, from 7 to 10 pH I would guess the whole kit is fine for saltwater.

I know other kits work for both, and still others only work for fresh or saltwater but not both. The Aquarium Pharm. kit isn't the greatest (mine isn't) but I like the pH test in it better than my Hagen pH test.

You could and probably should invest in a good saltwater kit (I've heard really good things about Salifert kits). I say could and probably should... But personally I hardly ever test my water other than calcium and dKh (alkalinity). For Calcium I use a Red Sea and for dKH I use another Aquarium Pharm.

Also...

Most people will probably jump on you for saying your cycling your tank with Damsels and the Cycle Product... Ideally you can do it without using fish, by putting a raw cocktail shrimp or two in the water and it will rot, causing an ammonia spike, and your cycle begins.

I on the otherhand am not going to tell you that using Damsels is wrong, just that there are other ways :D There is a good chance the Damsels will die from toxicity in the water, which I'm sure your aware of. If your so inclinded you can remove them from the tank now that your ammonia is up or keep 'em and hope they pull through. I will also add that the Cycle products and Turbo Start Products don't seem to work very good, if at all. I started a Tank with Turbo Start and some Filter Material and Live Rock from another well established tank and I still got a small Ammonia spike. I used enough of the Turbo Start, and should have not had one at all, but I still did. Oh well money down the drain in my opinion but we learn as we go.

Guy

llebcire

AC Members
Oct 19, 2003
Iowa City, IA
home.mchsi.com
Guy,

Thanks for the response!

I don't think that anyone will jump me for my style of cycliing the tank as there is always more than one option!

I have read that cycling with Damsels could lead to problems in an empty tank that is then loaded with live rock, but several sources do recommend it. Liveaquaria.com specifies Damselfish for cycling, one lfs employee has 12 tanks, nine marine, and she suggested it, as well as my local marine only store. He told me to use the three Damsels, some live rock, leave the lights off except for feeding and do nothing for 21 days....at that point, change 30 gallons, and go forward.

I tend to belive that Cycle has some effect, at least in freshwater, as I started and fully stocked a 30 gal in a little over a month using Cycle, and my readings were all zero.

I am still curious as to the acuracy of frshwater test kits on the marine environment!

Eric

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
No problem on the response, I try to respond to everything I can, albeit I'm not always correct :)

But your correct there is definatly more than 1 way to do things. Just offering up some suggestions and ideas for the future.

To validate your kits I would just test your water with them and then test them with a friends kit or at a LFS and see if the results come out the same. Cheaper than buying a new kit... Unless someone else here can verify that they work for both.

take care,
Guy

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Some test kits can be used for fresh and salt water, while other can not. The information packet and use directions should indicate if the test will work for both.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I don't know what ol' doc wellfish uses in his freshwater NH3 kits, but there are some FW kits that won't in saltwater. They are cheap enough that it's probably worth getting a new one. Plus, the chemicals tend to go bad over time, so a new one is always a good idea. From experience, I know that SW kits almost always work in FW.

Yeah there are many ways to cycle a tank. I've never done it fishless, and have never had much of a problem. I hope you want to keep your damsels, because they are a bear to extract.

BTW, welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store