red veins in red cap fins-a problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
My year and a half old red cap, Jack, has always had red veins showing in his fins, sometimes more, sometimes less. Right now he's in a more phase, so all the fins have a pinkish tinge, although the attached pictures exaggerate the color quite a bit.

20 gallon tank
Water parameters; amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrates usually 10 before a water change, occasionally 20. 5 after a weekly water change of 9 gallons.

I've seen pictures of redcaps with red veins and without. It makes sense that you'd see red blood through a thin white fin, but is this a problem or is this in the range of normal?

No frayed edges, no open sores or abbrasions. He eats well, is active and growing.

Twice over the past year and a half I have tried a treatment for this, once I ran a course of Maracyn Two and this spring tried Pimafix. I didn't notice any change.

I plan to move him and my new ryukin to a 75 gallon tank this week, but if there is any treatment recommended I'd like to do it while he's still in the 20 gallon tank.

IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0679.JPG

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Red veins in the fins is usually a sign of bacterial infection of the blood (hemorrhagic septicemia). I've seen it where one fish had damage just like yours for 6 months before it got really severe. I would treat him with a gram-negative antibiotic immediately. A antibiotic feed would probably give you the best results.

My big orange comet has visible veins in her white tail as well. No other red streaks anywhere else. When I was re-sealing my larger tank I had her in a smaller one with a bit of salt added. They never went away. She appears happy with no new fin damage. She always (since I inherited her with my pond) has had a beat up tail fin. Slooowly healing and growing back in parts. I think it will always be kind of jagged looking. The only other tail damage she had healed very quickly in the salt tank. She split it right down the middle escaping the siphon tube (yes it was my fault and I felt terrible) but it healed back together with amazing speed.

I got off course in my ramble...sorry. I would keep a close eye on the veins and other fins...It is probably nothing.

I am still learning though so...

And I see now that maybe I should look into the antibiotic as well...(V beat me to the post)

Around here (Missoula, Montana) this is all I can get for medicated food.

Question is...should I feed it to all of my fish? I have four comets and have nowhere to put the veined one. My other tank is currently full of fry.

Last edited:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Prominent red veining is always a red flag for poor water conditions. To an extent a white finned fish may always show a couple red veins, but the magnitude of manifestation in your fish is certainly cause for concern. Though your posted water parameters seem ok, I'd increase both the size and frequency of your water changes until you cant get your goldies into the 75.

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
thanks, sounds like there are several things I can do.

I'll go ahead with the move ASAP and get some medicated food. I'll move the two fish and the Rena XP1 to the new tank, which also has a Rena XP 3 canister and a big air pump.

and I will look for medicated food tonight.

my API test kits may be quite old-I bought them out of a discontinued bin-do they have a shelf life? Maybe I'm not getting accurate readings. They are just about empty anyway and I'll have to order new, petsmart only carries strips now.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Question is...should I feed it to all of my fish? I have four comets and have nowhere to put the veined one. My other tank is currently full of fry.
Yes - it won't do them any harm. However, in your larger goldfish's case it might just be scar tissue from the previous damage. So treating with antibiotics might not have any results.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
red veins can also be a sign of inadequate oxygenation, if this is the case you would also see the gills/operculums more red also

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
There was a spike in nitrates since saturday. It was between 20 and 40 last night, up from 5 on saturday. I did a big water change and got it back to five. I began using a new food on the weekend. I wonder if I overfed them with it, they really liked it.

I found a medicated food and the goldies appeared not to be taking to it right off, but I gave them a little more before bed and they snatched it all.

I'll be checking water levels daily.

I'll see what I can do to boost oxygenation.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
Don't forget to keep us updated on their progress, they are beautiful fish :D

Wish you and them the best.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Hey all, let's remember that just like in humans, overmedicating can cause resistant strains of bacteria. I think the veining will clear up simply by upping the frequency and size of the water changes. Long-term low levels of nitrite and nitrate can cause prominent red veins, as can low oxygen levels. Fix that BEFORE medicating! If you end up with resistant diseases, you're in a whole world of trouble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store