how/what to feed choc chip starfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Did you like my Thailand diving pictures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
when i had a chocolate chip star, i feed him thawed frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp. he would come to the top of the tank every morning and bend at arm back so i could basically plop some right down near his stomach for him to digest.

flairbrtndr

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
North Richland Hills, Texas
when i had a chocolate chip star, i feed him thawed frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp. he would come to the top of the tank every morning and bend at arm back so i could basically plop some right down near his stomach for him to digest.
I just got a cleaner shrimp yesterday and today, my red knob starfish is eating it. $30 meal for a starfish... awesome. I totally forgot that they love shrimp. I guess I learned that lesson the hard way

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i have 2 ch. starfish...and i don't target feed them..they just feed themselves on any falling food that hits the bottom of the tank...they can pretty much take care of themselves..but i guess you can hand feed them..

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
i have 2 ch. starfish...and i don't target feed them..they just feed themselves on any falling food that hits the bottom of the tank...they can pretty much take care of themselves..but i guess you can hand feed them..
Ya they don't really need to be target fed, mine was just always doing that during feeding time so I figured I'd let him be lazy.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Unfortunately, you will eventually need to target feed choc. starfish. First, they will eat whatever they can find in the tank. If not fed enough, they will stalk and eat any fish they can get ahold of. They are omnivores and opportunity feeders. If not target feeding, I would suggest making sure enough food gets down to the bottom for them.
Many people will say most - if not all - starfishes are difficult to keep.
Brittle stars are easier, but the wrong one can wreak havoc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store