Do goldfish get along with snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shoebox_16

Snr Member who craves knowledge.
Oct 5, 2008
Greater London, UK
I always thought they got on very well - aside from the more curious goldie knocking the snail off the glass, though I must say mine sticks very well!

I read somewhere that a goldfish will EAT a snail...

That's surely not true?!

My 3 fancies seem to completely ignore my Apple snail, except occasionally my Black Moor will knock it's shell because of his very poor vision.

Please note, this isn't a question of ammonia production or clean tanks ; )

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
mine are in with rams and mts and they do well, was looking to maybe put briggs in there also, but not just yet,..

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
MTS can be Malaysian Trumpet Snails, or Multiple Tank Syndrome, depending on context (the former in this case).

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I kept pond snails with 5 of them once. Although I did see one of them suck in snail meat by turning over a snail and ripping out its body.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
It has been my experience that goldfish can be kind of nippy with the Briggs which is the snail I am assuming you are referring to as Apple Snail. I had a baby koi in my 55 that I was housing until it's owner got her pond finished and although koi and goldfish are not the same the koi would suck the Briggs right out of their shell. I would suggest keeping a close eye on the tank to make sure the goldies aren't nipping at the antennae of the snails:)

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
A lot of goldfish will nip off a apple snail's antennae, which of course is painful, and if they pick on them enough it could cause the snail to die.

I have seen my goldfish try to eat small snails, but they normally spit them back out.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
I have snails in my tank with my goldies and they don't pay attention to them what so ever. I am however in the middle of setting up an invert only tank and removing my briggs from the goldfish tank. I just need a stand for the 20g. I did however have one (my largest goldie) try to eat a small brigg, but left it alone after a few seconds.

Shoebox_16

Snr Member who craves knowledge.
Oct 5, 2008
Greater London, UK
I see...well, I have never seen one of them trying to eat poor Snail (who has yet to be named). As I said, it's only my Black Moor who could be classed as a bully. My gold fantail swims too fast to bother ; ) and my calico fantail is far too ignorant, having turned her nose up at most veggies I put in the tank. So far there's no size advantage - the goldies are an 1 inch to 1.5 inch, and Snail is pretty much the same in diameter. Though thinking about it, size wouldn't matter anyway.

*sheepish*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store