Ick Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kayla25690

AC Members
Oct 25, 2008
west virginia
Hello! I purchased a 10 gal tank in march... I Then bought 2 goldfish and put in it (i Know way to small... i know that now... didn't when i first purchased them, besides that they were under 1 1/2 inches) so i started researching goldies, and then realized i was being cruel to them by putting them in such a small tank... so i gave them away. so i went and purchased 3 dalmation mollies, and 3 mickeymouse platies. Plus i have a pleco and a beta and a few snails and 5 ghost shrimp. Well, i noticed my son's beta has ick, so my cousin lives next door and she has an aquarium too so i asked if i could use her ick medicine she said yes.. so i put the beta in a bowl and started treating him. the ick fell off the next day (as it was just starting, only 3 or 4 spots) Then i started looking at my other fish and sure as you know it 1 of the mickeymouse has it and 1 of my mollies has it... so the day before yesterday i added more salt to the tank and added ick medicine to it also. i also took the carbon out of the filter and just left the filter running.. The temp is 78.. I Have tested the water everything is fine... but the ick isnt going away.. so what i was wondering is, What do i do?.. Do i have to keep doing 50 % Water changes daily and add more medicine?.. i am using Wardley essentials Ick Away.. It done great for the beta.. oh yeah, i took my snails and ghost shrimp out of the tank and put them in a filtered 2 1/2 gallon until im finished treating the 10 gal. Also, i have a 20 gallon that im going to upgrade to as soon as i get a light bar for it. Any help is appreciated!! Also, when i add the medicine, even though i done a 50 % Water change, do i add the whole 10 gallon treatment, or just the 5 gallon treatment?

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Either dose the medicine or the salt, not both in conjunction. I highly suggest using salt at 2 tsp per gallon.

Ich is a parasite that has a life cycle. It can only be killed in the free swimming stage, not while it is on your fish. So, you treat the tank and as the ich falls off the fish, the salt kills it. It can take 7-14 days to completely irridicate ick from your tank

So, put carbon back in your tank to remove the ich meds, add 2 tsp of salt per gallon of water. Do this slowly, over a period of several hours and predissolve the salt in a seperate container of tank water. Make sure to keep a constant level of salt in the tank, such as when you do a water change add back the amount of salt you take out. If you are just topping off your tank with water theres not need to add salt to that because salt does not evaporate. Leave this in for 14 days, then remove it through your regular water changes, no need to take it all out at one time.

Anything that was in the tank with ich either has ich or is carrying it, it all needs to be treated.

Avoid cross contamination by cleaning every net or bucket that you use in the infected tank with a mild solution of bleach, or let it dry out over several days.

My opinion, return the ich meds to your neighbor, or toss it in the trash.

Also, you can use regular table salt for treatment, doesnt matter if its iodized or not, and its a heck of a lot cheaper than aquarium salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store