Question about owning a Polypterus species

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aoi_Goldfish

Blue fish and love for wildlife
Sep 10, 2007
TN
I am fascinated by the polypterus species. I recently saw a Cuvier's Bichir (Polypterus senegalus) for sale at the newly opened Petco in Spring Hill. I would like to buy one but I've read they like a sandy bottom.

Ok here's the dilema, I use Aquaclear powerfilters. If I bought one of these lovely fish and set a tank up, how would I avoid getting sand in the filter?

I've had experience in the past with sandy bottoms and the powerfilter is kinda messed up from it. How can I have a sandy bottom in my tank with good water flow and not fry the filter?

Also any comments and suggestions on this Genus of fish is more than welcome. :thm:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have HOBs with sand, works just fine. When setting it up make sure to rinse the sand very well so none of the free floating particles get into the impeller. A sand with a large enough grain size shouldn't be moved around by the flow so no problems there.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
:iagree:

Also cutting an AC sponge so you can slide it over the intake will help trap any smaller particles.

Aoi_Goldfish

Sep 10, 2007
TN
Very good idea. Thanks. ;) Does anyone have any suggestions for properly caring for this species? I can read stuff all day but if someone actually owns one pointers are priceless...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The only "care" that I have with bichirs is that there is a polypterus species in the LFS that I work at...one thing I've noticed is that they are not fast hunters so definitely don't put them with something that could possibly out compete them for food. Other than that I have nothing...People at MFK would probably have more experience so try over there. :)

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Its not hard. I have 2 in the same tank with 2 Ctenopoma Acutirostre, 2 Clown Loaches,3 Western Australian Rainbows and a Rubberlip Pleco.

They eat pretty much anything. I feed the tank krill,bloodworms,earthworms,shrimp pellets,cichlid pellets,tubifex worms,flakes and alage wafers. Once in a while feeders but not as much since I gave away my convicts.I used their fry.

Just make sure any fish you add to the tank is larger then 3 inches and are full bodied to prevent them from being eaten.

If you do a search of bichir or Polypterus senegalus in the forum you'll find some good info.

Aoi_Goldfish

Sep 10, 2007
TN
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Me and search functions seem to be best friends... ;)

Aoi_Goldfish

Sep 10, 2007
TN
I've heard of that before. Isn't it large grained?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I don't have senegals, but i have endlicheri. I keep one of the tanks bare bottom, the other has soil substrate (sms). I feed massivore (by hikari) and Hikari sinking cichlid gold. They are really really cool critters with tons of personality. Although they do not dart around the tank, they can move very quickly. They will eat ANY fish that is the size of their head or smaller, so take that into consideration. They are also notorious for being escape artists, so make sure your tank is tightly lidded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store