Guppy got caught in filter some how still alive? (is it best to euthenise)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
ok so I've had a guppy that seemed to be doing alright but this morning i saw him/her wrapped around the filter intake i assumed he/she was dead but when i turned the filter off to remove him/her they swam off a little shakily and they aren't swimming that well so i sectioned him/her off from everyone else and am now trying to deside what to do about him/her what are your oppinions if it is to euthenise what would be my best method for the easyest most pain free method?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Hi, I've had to do this before, and it's a good humane way to do this. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, so it's a gradual gentile way to die. Sorry for your loss.

If he was stuck to the intake, he's probably pretty far gone, since that doesn't happen unless they are weakend for whatever reason. I'm very sorry. It hurts to lose one of our sweet little creatures, but it is very kind of you to do this in a humane manner.

Here's the article on euthanasia:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148361

BigNorsk

AC Members
Nov 13, 2008
If a full size guppy was stuck to the intake, something else is wrong. The guppy was sick before he got stuck. Simply being stuck there would not have seriously injured him, there's not that much pressure. The only exception would be if you had let many of the slots become plugged and the filter is just intaking through a couple.

It would be good to isolate the affected fish and see if you can't diagnose and cure him. While not assured, there is a possibility that he is the first of a disease outbreak. He also may be old or infirm in some way so it' not an automatic epidemic, but take a really good look at him.

Marv

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
healthy adult fish should have no problem resisting the flow of the intake, even if it is narrow and strong. fry often have trouble because they are small and weak, which is why intakes should be covered.

even sick fish will be able to resist the flow of the intake, but a fish would have to be very ill to give up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store