Eggs or mysterious growth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
During a normal routine water change this weekend, I noticed that on one certain plant (plastic), there's a collection of clear "eggs". I checked all the other plants to see if I was crazy, but it only appears on that one plant.

As seen in the photos below, they look like eggs, but there's so much algae growing around it that tells me they've been there for quite some time.

Eggs? Or eggs that tried to be eggs but didn't make it?

The inhabitants are: bumble bee gobies (3), figure-8 puffers (2), mollies (3, all female) and one dragon goby.

I know that figure-8 puffers are egg layers, but the reproduction rate in captivity is almost non-existent that I have to count them out. Dragon is obvious. Mollies are all females. And that leaves the bumble bees. Possible? Or am I just letting my imagination run wild?

DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Doesn't look like BBG eggs to me. They're cave spawners anyhow, it would be out of character for them to lay eggs on a plastic plant.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
That's what I thought. Besides, the algae suggests that they've been there a while. I am dumbfounded to what it could be. Probably nothing....oy...I'm going crazy.

mcgrady7761

AC Members
Aug 29, 2007
algae definately. i had that problem in my first tank except it was over all my plants and walls. i bought 3 mystery snails and the "mysterious black stuff" went away within a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store