Male / Female Betta Compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I currently have a male betta in a 10G, I am thinking of adding him some friends and was wondering if it was possible to add 2 female bettas into the tank.

Is this possible? how is the aggression with this kind of set up? The tank is full of fake plants and so there is a lot of cover if needed, but its slowly being converted to planted.

Thanks.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
It's very very rare for such a setup to not result in serious injury or death for at least one of the fish. Male bettas are best kept to themselves or with other fish that have no resemblance to themselves.

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
I would say NO....not in a 10 at all! If you have a heater you have lots of options, Tetras, Rasboras and other such sized fish. If you don't have a heater White Cloud Minnows are your best bet for tank mate, IMO. Oh and some dwarf Cories would be cool too! (Oh and IMO a better situation for the fish would be live plants.)

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
If you don't have a heater White Cloud Minnows are your best bet for tank mate, IMO.
Actually, if you don't have a heater, not even the betta belongs there. Heated tanks are a must for bettas unless you live in the tropics.

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
Is that size tank,it would not be possible. Warm water are needed for bettas since they are tropical fish too.But with a heater go with 7 small tetras and 2 shrimps.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks all, I thought I had read that it was not the best idea, but could not find much in a search. Just to clear some things up, the tank is heated and filtered.

I might look into some tetras, thanks.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I keep a male/female in a planted 10 that is covered on the bottom with a THICK carpet of JAva Moss some floating HM and some type of sword (I think) and mine get along fine. I have had no problems with aggression to date and they have been in the tank for several months together. My male actually started building bubble nests for the first time after I introduced the female. I must say though that mileage does vary GREATLY between each individual betta:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store