I think I have a fish with a Swim Bladder Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bama8200

AC Members
Oct 6, 2008
I have a 20 gal planted tank with some tetra's and 4 white clouds. This morning when I was feeding them on of the white clouds was swiming on his side and upside, the strange part was that he was still making his was to the surface and eating. He is one of my larger white clouds so I am not sure. All of the other fish are acting fine.

Any other suggestions on what it could be?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Are you sure about that nitrate? Most tests don't go down that low; sure it's not nitrite?

Bama8200

AC Members
Oct 6, 2008
no its nitrate. Nitrite is 0ppm the temp is the mid 70's where it has always been. The fish has good color and has been active. I noticed one night a while back say a month ago on of the WC (i am guessing this one) was swimming/floating upside down but he never died. Today this fish ate as well as all the others. He just did it upside down.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I had a large fancy goldfish years ago that had a swim bladder problem. Very similar. He would swim on his side and sometimes I would see him floating upside down at the top! he was crazy to watch, but he always got his food and lived 4 years without any problems.

Bama8200

AC Members
Oct 6, 2008
ok here is an update. The same fish got to the point he was just floating at the top of the water. This lasted for a day or so and he was not eating at this time. Then he got back to the point he can swim. he is eating and can swim ok unless he gets in water flow from my pump and then he gets tossed around and it takes him a min to regain control. all of the other fish are acting fine.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
he may have had a bloat issue (constipation) and once he cleared things out, his swim bladder could return to normal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store