Ramming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Ok I have just added 2 fish too my tank and I see someof the fish are ramming their heads into them and they are ramming back what are they doing is that a way of saying get out?????

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
What kind of new fish and what kind of established fish?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
we are going to need a 'little' more info.

what is the current stock?
what did you add?
how big is the tank?
how long has it been established?

to start

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Sounds like cichlids...need more info as stated above to be of any help....
What kind of fish in tank(new and old); tank size.......etc.

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Sorry guys I keep forgetting I am new here I think once Ipost it everyone will remember
35 gallon fresh water tank
2 ghost shrimp
2 angel fish
3 mollies
1 tiny catfish
2 tetras
the last two I added I am looking for the name on line I cannot think of it they are half yellow in the back and silver in the front.

tank has been up about 8 months
if I can find a site that has photos of fish I would tell you the name

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I see the angels as the problem of butting, sounds like you put a cichlid in.

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Not the Angels And not cichilds they are freshwater fish I knwo that the names are so long I cannot remember.

what I just noticed is my white molly is full of Ich I see it all over her tail and fins So now I have to go buy that ick out question is will it effect the shrimp or any other fish? I have not had ich in a long time I think if I remember I have to empty out the filtter of the carbon and all other stuff or do I just shut it down ?

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Can you post a pic of the "rammers"? We can help you more if know what kind of fish we are dealing with....Yellow and silver - how big are they? Could they be a rainbow- or perhaps sunset gourami???? A pic would definitely help.
Did you quarantine? If not, you will need to treat the entire tank for Ich.....I feel for ya - been there/done that!

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
NO quarantine the fish stor eis very very good and I have never had a problem for years the mollies are actually 4 months old but I do not see it on any other fish So yes I have to do the whole tank Would it be easier to turn off the filter and let the ick out work 10 days or what .

I will post pic later I am heading out

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Turning off the filter is a bad idea and ich will not "work itself out."

Here's some info from the disease guide sticky;

White Spot Disease
Synonyms:

Ich, Ick

Symptoms:
Early signs of white spot begin when fish flick themselves against rocks. They may also swimming in an odd behaviour as if they were trying to use the water to wash away an irritation. Some of the more common causes are stress, bad water conditions, live food that have been infected by the pathogens or already infected fish without quarantining it.

Description:
Ich is a protozoal infection that afflicts fish and can rapidly kill them, most often by damaging gill tissue. It is highly infectious and potentially lethal and manifests as tiny white spots all over the fish. The spots are no larger than grains of salt. The wide host range of this parasite is its life cycle, and speed of multiplication especially in a tropical aquarium. When you see the white spot on your fish, it is already too late for those ich particles to be avoided.

The organisms, trophonts goes through a life cycle of a small white spot feeding on your fish which drops off to the floor of your tank and encases itself in a cyst called tomont. While encased in a cyst, it divides into up to 2000 new mobile organisms called theronts. The cyst then ruptures, thus releasing the theronts which seek out a host to feed into. They must locate a host within 24 hours otherwise they will die. Only the mobile stage is vulnerable to treatments.

Ich will appear if the fish is stressed. Note that it acts more as a 'contaminant' and is not part of the tank's ecosystem. Any new fish should be quarantined for 2-4 weeks. Failing that will increase the risk of introducing diseases which wil affect other occupants. New fish are always possible carriers of diseases.

Treatment:
Salt
Increase the temperature to at least 84-86 degrees as much as the fish can tolerate. Add aquarium or table salt (dissolved in water) at a ratio of 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water in your tank. While waiting, it does not hurt to add a powerhead or airstone to increase the oxygen level. Over the first couple days, your fish will appear worse and will eventually recover as the treatment progresses. In most cases, ich will disappear on the sixth day. However, there is still a probability that some cysts have not yet ruptured so it is advisable to keep the treatment up for full ten days.

If you are not able to raise the temperature at all, you need to extend the treatment. At 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the life cycle of ich is quicker. The colder the temperature, the slower the life cycle thus the treatment will extend even longer than required.

Unfortunately many plants do not do well with this salt treatment and may appear to be failing but will usually come back in time. Removing them to a salt free environment after a thorough rinsing may save them, however they must be kept at the high temperature as well. When the cyst breaks up in the plant holding tank, the small parasites will be unable to find a host and will die within 24-48 hours. Ich is easily transferred to other fish tanks so do not share nets, heaters and wet hands between infected and non infected tanks. Fish in treatment appear to do better with a reduced feeding regimen.

When you look into a fish store's aquarium, their fish may appear healthy without any signs of disease. Ask how long the fish have been in the store and when the last time new fish were added to that tank. If it has been 2 weeks or more, your chances of getting disease free fish is high.

Clown loaches and young oscars are notorious for getting ich after they are transferred to your tank. These and many others can tolerate salt. If you are unsure about your fish’s tolerance for salt, be sure to look for answers in a reference book or ask an expert.

A salt test kit available at your local fish store will help you get the exact dosage. Something in the range of .2%, is where you want to be.

Other Treatments:
Malachite Green, Formalin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store