URGENT - betta is dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
I can't figure out what's wrong with our betta. he is lying pretty much on his side, and his gills are really working. it's like he's struggling to breathe.

I noticed that he's been much less active the last few days - resting a lot on a leaf of his silk plant, or on the bottom. Today he looks bad.

His water parameters are good - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and < 5 nitrate. I drained most of the water from his tank so he can get to the surface to breathe, but don't know what else to do. He's been eating fine (frozen bloodworms and pellets). We feed him 2x a day, 2 pellets or bloodworms each time.

He's not bloated, no pineconing of the scales. No signs of parasites.

He's in a 2.5 gallon tank, heated (about 76*) with a filter. I just sent my husband out to get some new Prime, although I don't think it's a water issue that's causing this.

Any ideas what I should do? We're supposed to be leaving now to go out of state to relatives for Thanksgiving, but I just can't leave him like this. I know he'll die if I just fill the tank back up and leave him.

We got him from a breeder last month, and he's been robust and great. He's only about 4-5 mos old, so it's not an old age thing. Any ideas? Help!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Well, since I dropped the water level down, I had to turn the filter off, otherwise there would be like a waterfall effect in his tank, and too much turbulence. What else can I do? No stores are open, so I'm limited.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Was the testing done with a liquid test kit?

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Yes, testing done with API kit.

I'm frantically doing Internet searches, and maybe it is a lack of oxygen. I don't have an airstone. Should I try raising the water level a bit, and turn the filter back on? If I don't fill the tank all the way it will make perhaps too strong a current, but more oxygen will get in the water? Or is this a stupid idea? I'm at a loss here

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Change out your water and fill it back up so you can run the filter. The betta should be able to get oxygen from the surface but it doesn't sound like that's working. Maybe a contaminant (chemical, soap or other) got in there by accident?
OK, I'm going to try that.

No contaminants - I'm really careful about that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store