RIP Muddy (The Death of my Mudskipper)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowland

AC Members
Jul 1, 2008
Last night i came home to find Muddy lying side down on land, dead.

So devastated, as we took fantastic care of him, fortnightly water changes, 2 crickets daily with one day fast, sometimes bloodworms and blackworms for treats, perfect humidity and the hardness and salinity was great.

The only difference was a new day globe was fitted last week but no sign of anything til last night.

Becasue these creatures have a life-span of 10 years, and we only have had him for a year, i feel something out of the ordinary must have happened.

There is also a Scat in the same tank, any chance there could have been any drama??

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT>!>!>!>?!?!?

RIP MUD

snowland

AC Members
Jul 1, 2008
Yes but bear in mind this is a brackish tank, we were told that changing the water more than this would be detremental to the bacteria build up. does anyone have any better info on that?

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
Have a few and never lost a skip before, very sorry for your loss! That sucks! In a brackish tank, water changes are not more dangerous IMO, they are just as important in FW/SW. If anything brackish fish can be a little more tolerant to changes in salinity and other mature water conditions.

Sorry again, hopefully you can find another soon...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Rough loss...I don't think the water change guidelines should change just because it is brackish. The details would be in prepping your water ahead of time and have it ready as you do for a SW environment.

Not sure if there is a compatibility issue, but it just as well could have been genetics.

Globe? As in lighting...? Same wattage and color?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
do you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Few things stick out:
1) in another thread you said it is a turtle tank, what size? As a 40gBreeder which is the largest turtle tank that I know of only provides 20g of water. That alone is FAR too small of a water volume for a Scat, let alone a scat and land area for a Skippy.
2) Scats are schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 4. They can be a bit more aggressive when not in schools, but I think if the Scat went after him, it would be dead in the water rather than on land. Plus the Scat would have to be pretty hungry to go after the Skippy, Skippy's are pretty fast.
3) Scats produce a HUGE amount of bioload, so the water changes are FAR too few with a Scat in the tank. I would check your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels, as I would bet at least the Nitrate is really high.
4) I change my tanks water every week and vary the salinity as that is what brackish fish are used to. The tank never mini-cycles so the bacteria is fine with SMALL salinity changes weekly. I would up your water changes to at least weekly, especially with a Scat!
Hope this helps and sorry for your loss!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store