Angel fish spawned... Now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
The 2 angel fish in my 90 gallon have spawned. I came home tonight to find them aggressively guarding a clutch of eggs. Not sure how many but I'd say there is at least 100. What in the world should I do? The eggs were laid on a rock. Should I remove the rock and place it in a 10 gallon tank? Should I leave it alone and let nature take it's course? If the fry hatch what should I feed them? Any help would be appreciated. It was a totally unexpected find.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Well sounds like you can do a couple of thinks. You can remove the stone with the eggs on it and put it in a 10 gallon tank with a mature sponge filter and some methylene blue. The fry will become wigglers in about 72 hours. You can leave them in the tank and the parents will probably eat them because they will think the other fish in the tank are going to. Your best choice is to put the pair in their own tank (at least 20 gallons) and let them raise the eggs, or at least let them try several times. At any rate, once the fry become free swimming you can feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

chipstahoy

i like herps...and fish
Oct 17, 2003
michigan
www.msu.edu
yeah, i'd say the best bet is to put them in their own tank (20 g) and let them try and raise the fry themselves first. if this doesn't work and you really want to raise the fry, then you can put them in their own tank. the sponge filter is a great idea, with a bare bottom so you can see all the crap that's there. water changes are always good and for fry they're even more important. you could try to leave the parents in the 90 g and see how that works...usually pairs spawn like mad once they're paired off...so you can afford to wait and see what works best. there are a lot of helpful sites if you do searches on the internet as well. hope this helps

-chip

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store