High nitrates in hospital tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Good morning.
My chocolate oranda seems to have made a recovery of sorts. (He is no longer looking as if he is on his final breath). He still has red streaks on his tail and body. The big patches of red which originally looked like ulcers are gone. He does have a bit of white on his head which seems to be getting smaller.
On Wednesday, he was swimming around, eating, he's starting to look glimmery again. Water tested bright yellow for nitrate (TetraTest 0)

On Thursday, I vacuumed the tank to remove poop/fish food particles; about a 20% water change. No substrate.
Later that day and into Friday, he was just hanging at the top of the tank in one corner. Tested the water, the nitrate was 3.0 mg/l! I changed 25% water again. Also, I removed the filter which had been in the tank and put in a new filter (Retested a few hours later; 1.5 mg/l changed again.
He's still up in the corner.
Why am I have a problem? There isn't anything in the tank except the fish.
Would he be better off going back to the big tank? I also think he could be depressed being by himself for nearly two weeks.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Was the hospital tank cycled? If not it is cycling, and once you removed the old filter pad and put in a new one the tank was thrown into a cycle. Which means there is ammonia in the water. This is probably why he is up in the corner. If he is not disease free I would not take the chance on putting him back with his tank mates. You do need to be doing lots of waterchanges to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates within safe levels.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
An update... the chocolate oranda with the red sores has made a full recovery. I placed him back into the bigger tank last Friday evening. All is well.
Thanks for all the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store