New 60 Gal FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

willsher

AC Members
Dec 13, 2006
Hi,
New to SW, currently have a 29 setup with some liverock and a couple of damsels as a quarantine tank. I picked up a 60gal tank with crushed coral substrate and a Magnum 350 canister filer to use as my main tank. I am wondering if I should get another of these, of if this filter will be enough with a couple of koralia pumps for added circulation. I would like to keep the inside of the tank pretty clean looking without too much equipment showing but I cannot do a sump because of the stand I have. Anyone have any suggestions?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Welcome to the SW part of the hobby. From much of what your saying, you already decided on your course in planning what equipment you will have. But in all honesty, you would be far better off with a good skimmer, then a simple filter that you have now. Also, if your smaller tank is your QT, you would later on have too remove those damsels. For such a small tank, you not will be able to manage most small fish in this QT, not after the damsels become quite territorial. Also, crush coral, I wouldn't use it, I would gone with arragonite sand instead. With a good skimmer, you will be also requiring two medium size power heads for your tank water currents. If I may suggest to you, look at the MaxiJets. And even if you can not drill this tank, you could still manage to have yourself a sump. If you go within this idea of some canister filter, or what, you will soon enough have nitrates problems to ask about what to do there. A good skimmer is the best way to go. That is my .02 worth on your project.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store