Brown Algae Problem & Removing Copper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jester50

AC Members
Oct 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I hope someone could help me with a few questions.
My tank specs:

- 5 months running, 40 gal Fish only
- bak pak 2 for bio & skimming. Also a millenium for extra skimmer, to hold extra media bags, and also for more surface movement. I also run a powerhead for current.

- 1 flame angel, 2 pec clowns, 1 purple firefish.

- I have a 110w compact fixture, but I only run one bulb (a 55watt 50/50 light) so far.

- ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate at the moment 5ppm.

1. Has anyone ever tried CupriSorb or any similar copper remover for your SW tank? Unfortunately my tank has been exposed to copper medication. If possible, I would like to put pink legged crabs in, and was wondering how they'd do. Anyone know if they can tolerate some levels of copper? This CupriSorb claims to be able to remove copper from the rocks and filter bed over time.

2. My tank is experiencing a bit of a brown algae problem. It was bad when the tank finished cycling (to be expected). Then it cleared up real nice for about a 2 months, then the problem came back. I've tried adding phosphate remover with no change. There are no dead things in the water. The filters do not have debris. I feed sparingly. Yet, the algae persists. My lighting is 55 watts at the moment. I could raise it another 55 watts, but would that solve my problem or just create another type of algae to flourish?

Prior to the copper being added to the tank, I had about 10 pink legged hermit crabs. They did great. I know they ate algae, but I am not sure if they were the only reason my algae was kept in track? Then I broke down during a horrible case of ich, (removed the crabs) and added a copper medication. I know, Tsk tsk on me for adding it in my showtank. I made the decision because I figured I'd just live without having any inverts. But now with my algae growth, I am having second thoughts. On the good note, my fish recuperated and are doing great otherwise.

Here in Hawaii, we are not allowed to keep any living corals. We cannot harvest it from the reef, nor mail order it. DEPRESSING!!! No live rock either! :mad:
Anyway, we are stuck buying fake or dead corals. We only have hermit crabs, snails, shrimp and feather dusters for sale.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Jess

Oh forgot to mention, the lights stay on a timer for 5 hours each day. I cut it back to see if it made a difference - which it hasnt. Otherwise, the tank is in a corner out of direct sunlight. Also I do regular water changes and the compact bulb I use is about 3 months old. The phosphate eliminator i use is made by Salifert.

Last edited:

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
To my knowledge there isn't anything that will effectively remove copper that has leeched into a captive marine system. However, you started that you do not have any live rock. If this is the case, why not just replace any matierals that may have absorbed copper? Have you done a copper test? You might not even have a problem.

As far as brown algae goes, turbo and astrea snails are monsters on that stuff. Scarlet hermits will clean house on it, too.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I have used Cuprisorb, and it made the tank habitable for shrimp, snails and hermits. They all did fine for about a year before I shut that tank down, without mysterious disease or death. Be sure the bag has a lot of flow through it, and run for a prolonged period before adding inverts. Although your substrate and decor will have absorbed a good bit of copper, they will release the available copper back into the system slowly until it is barely above background. Just add a few hermits to start, to be sure things are OK.

I'd suggest testing to be certain, but I have yet to find a trustworthy Cu test. The hermits will tell you.

Since you aren't keeping photosynthetic inverts, I'd suggest going to NO fluorescent. Two 40 watt NO bulbs will give the algae a lot less light to work with, and should be plenty for fish viewing.

jester50

AC Members
Oct 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
re:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try the copper remover.
And try hermits again when the levels drop.

As for the lights, I didnt think 1.3 watts per gallon was a lot. I almost hate to rid of this fixture, since spending so much money on it. Just to minus .3 watts by using flours bulbs.

I guess those crabs really did work, even though they seemed to fight over shells more than anything else. I dont mind running a sponge down my glass, but scrubing coral is a pain.
Buying new dead corals suck. Sometimes they cost more than the live ones. I have a huge $75 piece in there. This guy carves and cements pieces together to make elaborate centerpieces and I bought one.

Wish we could have live rock here. :(

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You're probably right that switching over to NO fluorescent won't do much. You'll lose more light than you think, because you get less photosynthetically available light with them, but it probably isn't the main problem.

If you can, go for fake corals. Dead corals are usually live corals that were pulled off the reef and bleached. That is a practice that has been banned in most countries because of the damage to the reefs. Live corals are usually smaller frags, while the dead ones that go for the most money are the big, mature colonies. According to NOAA, the only country that still exports them is Vietnam.

You should be able to clean your old ones, though. Just soak them in 10% bleach, rinse very thoroughly, soak in freshwater with a lot of declorinator, then air dry for a few days.

Can you have live sand? You could presumably buy some base rock, put it in the tank with live sand and let it become live.

jester50

AC Members
Oct 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
how about a UV?

Live sand, nope not sold in stores, cant mailorder either. One could obtain it, but taking sand from the beaches is illegal too. Hrm, living in paradise isnt much fun. :rolleyes:

I just talked with the lfs. They sell tons of reef supplies. Anything you need to maintain a healthy reef system is available there, minus the live stuff. Why do they sell it if no one is allowed to have a reef? Guy said people come in (mostly fishermen) and buy the stuff up. Dont ask dont tell I guess. A guy was arrested a year ago - had a 100 gallon full of beautiful corals. Some of it was not native to the islands either. Got jail time and a whoping fine. They showed the tank on tv - oh drool!

I must not be the only one with the brown algae problem. He said everyone complains about it here. Most people just do the chlorine soak because they are too cheap to buy a UV, which he recommended. You think it would make a big difference in regards to algae?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The problem with UV is that it only kills stuff in the water column. The algae on the substrate will just laugh at it. I've done the experiment.

Wayne has a point, has your water source changed lately? You might give RO a shot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store