Need acurate BB goby info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I am considering taking over care of someone's bumblebee gobies. These fish came from a big box store, so I do not know their specific species. Photos are attached. I really need some expert/first person advice, as all google'd info is contradicting/outdated/blantantly wrong.

-What is the salinity need for these fish? I've read they can do fresh, they need brackish and a wealth of other conflicting info.

-What is an appropriate set up, including tank size? (sand or crushed coral, caves, plants etc?)

-What is an ideal diet? These guys are currently eating frozen blood worms and live brine shrimp. Would scuds work as a primary food source, with other foods for variety?

-Do I need more gobies than just 2?

Thanks

1f11271gd3k43ma3o98bu398daf97832514ac.jpg 1f71271323m33p73l58bu4a7aa46622231645.jpg

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I have a couple of these guys in my brackish tank at SG 1.005. They eat frozen blood worms like there's no tomorrow. So far they seem happy and healthy. There is a variety of BB's that can tolerate fresh water, but even they will still do better in brackish. don't know if this counts as "expert" advice, but it's what I have from experience.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Thanks, that helps a lot. I've sort of reached an assumption that even the species that tolerate fw will do better in the long run in bw. What other things do you feed yours? What substrate do you have?

schmidtfarm

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
North Carolina
I have some of the exact type in your picture. They will be fine in fresh water but I usually add a heaping tbsp of aquarium salt per 10 gallons. I use a coral substrate to keep kh/gh/ph higher than my usual low parameter water. My 'Bubble bees' are housed with endlers which provide live food. Any plants that I can keep alive - I will also use plastic if necessary. As for food - the bees are ambush predators so providing live food is the best for them. I give them live grindal worms and daphnia as well as frozen blood worms, BS etc. Mine will not eat any flake or pelleted foods at all. I have several rocks and pieces of slat in the tank. They tend to stake out territories on leaves, on the sponge filter or on/around rocks. They show no interest in the little caves provided other than hanging out on top of them. These are fun little guys...good luck with them.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
-What is the salinity need for these fish? I've read they can do fresh, they need brackish and a wealth of other conflicting info.
Easily the biggest myth about BBGs is that they need or prefer brackish water. They'll actually do equally well in either freshwater or brackish up to 1.005 SG, given that the water is on the hard and alkaline side. I personally keep my BBGs in freshwater, and have been doing so for a few years now.

-What is an appropriate set up, including tank size? (sand or crushed coral, caves, plants etc?)
I'd give them at least 2 gallons each. They do well in planted tanks, and use small caves as territories and spawning sites.

-What is an ideal diet? These guys are currently eating frozen blood worms and live brine shrimp. Would scuds work as a primary food source, with other foods for variety?
They'll gobble up any live foods that'll fit in their mouths, and most frozen foods should work as well. Among the staples I've used are live blackworms, frozen bloodworms, live and frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis. I've found the first two to be a hit, while the others can be a hit or miss depending on the individual fish.

-Do I need more gobies than just 2?
It's up to you.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Thanks, that helps a lot. I've sort of reached an assumption that even the species that tolerate fw will do better in the long run in bw. What other things do you feed yours? What substrate do you have?
I have a substrate of crushed coral mixed with regular gravel. They will greedily go after any live or frozen food, but pretty much ignore anything commercially prepared. Good luck with them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store