Upsidedown Anenome

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
Can somebody please explain this to me and let me know if this is normal. This anenome moves all of the time and rarely even stays in one place for a day, but I have never seen it do this. Any help would be great. Should I flip it over?

SUC51617.JPG SUC51614.JPG

Eddiecorrea

War kitty! God hates cats!
Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
We need more info. Like flow, lighting, ALL water parameters.

It seems like it is unhappy. Or dying. They usually do that when they are dying. Im not sure what kind it is by those pics. Im not a species expert by any means. But it kinda looks like a LTA judging by the Purple Tips. Not sure though. It also looks like it was dyed as I have never seen one that color. How long have you had it?

Eddiecorrea

Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
try to put it on a rock so it can stick on it.... and yea flip it over
If thats a long tentacle like I think they prefer a deep sand bed. So what you could do is dig a little hole in the sand and stick the foot in it. Then push the sand back in around it to hold it in place.

With my carpet anemone I just got I just set him on the sand and within 5 hrs he was buried 3 inches in the sand. But my tank is about 7 months old too which makes a big difference. Not as established as most would recommend but I couldnt pass up this anemone. Easily the most amazing carpet I have ever seen.

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
It is a Sabae. OK, I turned him over and we made an observation. In our tank we have very established live rock, and some that had been sun bleached and has been in the tank for about 4 months. The anenome doesn't seem to want to attach to the newer rock and is hooked to a small piece I had sitting on the rock shown that is covered in feather dusters. Is this maybe part of the problem? I will try the sand thing, but can I kill it by messing with it too much.

By the way my params:
0 nitrate
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
ph 8.1 ( a little low but working on it)
79 degree water temp
2 96 watt coralife bulbs 1 white 1 blue

And then the one possible problem..... salt content 1.025. I guess the water I got fom my lfs was high, but he told me that with only a 10% water change it should be fine. Well, it rose, but it has been this way since Saturday. I am trying to lower it daily. Everything else seems fine......what sally didn't eat!!

Anything else that might help?????

Last edited:

Eddiecorrea

Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
Your salinity is fine. Its actually right where it should be at 1.025. Your PH is on the bottom level of what it should be but not a big deal.

So it is a sabea. I dont know a ton about them but I do know they are one of the harder anemones to care for. Very picky and they require HIGH light. With your lighting you will not be able to care for this creature. I'm assuming those are PC lights. You need atleast T5s with individual reflectors for this anemone.

I also know that they do not like rocks at all. Well like 90% anyway. They need a deep sand bed. They are also very fragile so avoid handling them as much as possible. That goes for any anemone.

Good luck with it.

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
Thanks for telling me! I will try to take it back to my lfs! I don't want to torture it! I wish these things came with a manual. Thank you! ( I feel so bad for this anenome now. I have had it for three weeks and have been torturing it........)

Eddiecorrea

Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
Thanks for telling me! I will try to take it back to my lfs! I don't want to torture it! I wish these things came with a manual. Thank you! ( I feel so bad for this anenome now. I have had it for three weeks and have been torturing it........)
Not your fault. Its the LFS's fault. They should have asked you about your setup and told you about the anemone instead of just taking your money. Get some shrooms or zoanthid polyps. They will thrive under your lighting. Really fun to watch grow.

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
I replaced the lights today, but I think it's too late. The anenome is getting smaller and more shriveled by the hour. This sucks. I feel like I am torturing it. Anyway, thanks for all of your help on here. I will definitely ask more questions before I make another anenome purchase. At least my bubble tip is still looking amazing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store