anemone concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I purchased a long tentacle anemone yesterday at about 5 p.m. my time. I spent 2 hours acclimating him to the tank. My salinity is lower than the lfs, his is 23, my tank is low, so it is 22. his tank is 78, my tank is 79.5.

After acclimating him to the tank, I stuck him on a piece of rock in moderate curent, just enough to see his tentacle sway. He did not attach himself to the rock. He was blown off the rock one time last night before I went to bed. He was blown off the rock this morning when I woke up. I replaced him on the rock this last night, and just relocated him all together this morning. He is still not attached to anything, but is bloomed out. Should I be concerned he is not attached yet? it has ben 19 hours since he has been in my tank. His pedestal blows up like he is trying to find something. Also, should I be concerned that he fell off of some rocks, and bounced down untill he got to bottom? would this cause abrasions or anything? Are they pretty tough about bouncing around?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anenomes normally will attach when they feel like it, and then crawl around until they find some place they like. Give it some time though--it canbe stressful, and depending on how it was removed at the LFS, it may take it a day or two. Try to locate it where it won't be blown around, and try feeding it.

Unless you see damage to the trunk, it's doubtful that the 'fall' injured it. The soft tissues are pretty durable to pressure, though sharp edges and powerheads can cause damage.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I have not tried to feed it yet, I was thinking of waiting untill he looked happy. I will try to feed him when I get home from work, if that is the thing to do. I did not see any damage to the trunk, but it did look like a tentacle was deflated. He was mounted on a crushed coral base at the LFS, so he was easy to get out of the tank there (not forced). The LFS said they feed there long tentacles 2 times a day............ I think that is a little excesive, don't you?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes and no. Yes, that's excessive for maintenance. No, that's not too much when you consider that they are trying to get them back in shape after the stress and rigors and starvation of shipping, and I'm sure that promotes splitting as well, which = free critters for them to sell.

I wouldn't feed it that often in your tank though--that would be a lot of waste!

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
When I got home last night, I placed a little piece of flat live rock on the bottom of the tank, and set my anemone on it. He kept his trunk tucked up untill the lights turned off. This morning his trunk was fully extended, all tentacles were stretched out, but he was laying on his side. I put him back on the piece of rock (which he just rolled off of) and he tucked his trunk up, stayed on the rock, but stayed bloomed out. I called my wife to get a report, and she seems to think that he is now attached to the rock.

I did try to feed him last night , mysid, brine, then silver side, he would not take either, He still has reflexes, anytime something brushes by, he jerks. I was going to wait untill he attached to something before trying to feed again. What do you think?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
As long as it's reacting, it should be okay. They can be fussy, so just be patient. I had one anenome that floated for a number of days before attaching to the side of the tank, and then it crawled all over til it was happy. It doesn't matter if it's laying on it's side--they can move the stump around so the bottom is making contact.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I got home, and he was not attached to anything.... sorry, it is making me pace the floor waiting for something to happen. I included a pic this time. I am going to go nuts if this guy does not find a home.

mr tentacles.jpg

Joey D

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
So cal-Phoenix, Az
Visit site
what can you do

WELL, THE BATTLE WITH ANEMONES IS ONCE AGAIN STARTED. I GUESS ALL YOU CAN DO AT THIS POINT IS JUST LET IT BE. WHAT I WOULD DO IS MAYBE BUILD A ROCK SHELTER AROUND HIM, AND PLACE A PIECE OF ROCK ABOVE HIM BLOCKING THE LIGHT. SOMETIMES THIS PROMPTS THEM TO MOVE IF THEY GET INSUFFICIENT LIGHT, and it may help him move about and attach to a location of its choice. If he doesnt move after half a day to a day, move the rock blocking the light and just let him be. Try not to handle it too much right now, as it is new to your tank. All else considered, it looks pretty healthy. Try feeding it only when its tentacles are fully extended, that is how they capture food in nature, and this will also allow it to wrap around the food better. I would only feed it 3 times a week, or as much as i can without it regurgitating any of it. The more you feed it, the faster it grows; to maintain its size, just cut down on the feedings. Also consider your substrate. I believe those kinds of anemones prefer to bury their column in rock crevices, just like carpet anemones prefer deep sand beds. Anemones move until they find a happy place, and here's a few conditions for movement: insufficient light, insufficient food, insufficient substrate, poor water conditions.
Good luck

Last edited:

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I did move it in the back corner of the tank (low lighting, no water movement, an rock cover) yesterday morning. He still looks great. As far as what they like to attach to, I have read a lot of facts (ha ha) on this species. One person says coral substrate, another person says sand substrate, and yet another person says rock. That is what I like about this place, you get first hand experience, and not someone trying to sell you something they have, and telling you what you want to hear just to sell their product. It may have been to early to do so, but I purchase a maroon clown last night, that is hosting with the anemone. The clown was in the same tank, with the other anemone, I bought my anemone from. The LFS said that it would be fine, and probably help my anemone feel at home.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Little update

I had the coral base in my tank. I took out a section of coral, and put in sand. I move the anemone to sand, and put a couple pieces of rock around him to keep him from "blowing" around. This was lastnight (Sunday). This morning when I woke up (forigve me, I do not know the anatomy of an anemone) its leaves were stuck to the rock on each side of it, holding it upright. I did not realize, but the little yellow dots on the underside seem to stick to what it touches. I tried to feed it (shrimp, and silversides) but it still will not eat.

The clown hosting with it, takes food in his mouth, and spits it back out. Other than this, the clown appears to be doing good.

I do not feel like I should be concerned about them not eating. I am really not concerned about the anemone not eating, maybe a little about the clown. I feel that the clown is just being finiky. You guys think I should worry, or try something different?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store